Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2006, 09:19 AM
    Anyone use their laptop to play DVDs for the kids in a minivan?
    Just wanted to know how much wattage I need when I go shopping for one of those power inverters? I have an IBM Thinkpad R51.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2006, 09:51 AM
    We take the laptop everywhere to watch dvds on trips. My converter is 160 watt with 360 watt max. It was about $40.
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2006, 10:09 AM
    Cool, I was considering getting the 200 watt one so I guess I'm safe. Thanks!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 2, 2006, 03:04 PM
    Why not merely buy a 12 vt power supply made for your computer, I run my laptop for GPS, watching DVD and listen to CD all the time.
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2006, 03:09 PM
    The car adapter for an IBM laptop would be at least twice the price of a power inverter. Plus the power inverter can power other 12V devices we may need.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 2, 2006, 06:44 PM
    I have run power inverters for about 8 years for all sort of things, you will find some issues ( they have to be unpluged to turn car on and off)
    And they normally make noise at least after a point. Also some will have power increase and decease as the alternator causing some power flux.

I won't try to get into the sine wave difference in the inverters to true 120 vt power but often this difference is hard on computer equipment.

Yes they are often more expensive, but also you may want to check walmart for some that fit various models, I have seen some with prices coming down

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Copying my personal DVDS [ 6 Answers ]

Is there a program that will allow you to copy a copywrited DVD?

Can my panasonic cf-47 play dvds? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Panasonic CF-47 Toughbook, model year about 2000. It has a Pentium II, with a CDROM. My question is: Can this machine play a DVD? Of course it can play CDs, but I was wondering if CDs and DVDs are virtually the same, as far as my CDROM is concerned. Thanks for an answer.

Playing DVDs [ 4 Answers ]

Is there a DVD you can download that actually works?My computer came with PowerDVD,but there was no audio,although I followed all the instructions.So I downloadedthe newest version,and not only was there no audio,there was no video.I tried WinDVD and Zoom Player,and it just said"no media...

What dvds do I need [ 10 Answers ]

I have a atapi dvd2x16x4x16 dvd+rdl dvd+re writeable dvdr/rw ultra speed what are the best dvd blanks I should use please

Computer won't play dvds [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there When I tried to play a dvd on my PC on powerdvd it says 'The powerdvd Direct show decorder filters have not been installed properly' But I never use this and have never unistalled it or anything like that it came with the PC when I bought it 3 years ago and used to work fine , I also...

View more questions Search