Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kghastie Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2009, 08:28 PM
    Yikes! Does the blue thermostat wire go to the C terminal?
    Hi. I'm trying to install a Honeywell RTH7600 programmable thermostat. I've detached my old thermostat, and I'm trying to figure out how to match up the wires. It's heat and air conditioning, and the old thermostat was a pretty basic, older round variety (also honeywell).

Problem is that I have a red, a white, a green and a blue wire. I can't figure out where the blue wire goes. Does it attach to C (I saw that on another post on this site).

Any help would be MUCH appreciated. I'm in Chicago and it is FREEZING here, and I don't think I'll be able to get the old thermostat reattached (the wire stubs are too short and my screwdriver doesn't fit the screws to take off the plate!)

Wires from wall

R -> R
    W -> W
    G -> G
    B ->?

New thermostat:

R (jumpered to RC)
    W
    G
    C
    Y

Thanks in advance!
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2009, 09:57 PM

The blue wire will connect to the "Y" terminal on the new thermostat.

Jan 22, 2009, 07:58 AM

Hmmm. Well, I attached it to the C terminal and the heat at least seems to be working. What does the Blue and Y terminals do? Are you sure that it's Y and not C?
    dac122 Posts: 463, Reputation: 17

Jan 22, 2009, 11:30 AM

Here is the generally accepted convention for colors and terminals. It would be common sense for the previous person to wire according to that standard, but common sense isn't as common as you'd think.

Trace down that blue wire then you'll have your answer or repost with what you found.

Jan 22, 2009, 11:47 AM
    So I'm not quite sure what I am supposed to look for on that page (or "trace") that would give me my answer. That site does not suggest anything for a blue wire except to go to Y2 for a heat pump, which I don't think I have (although I am guessing).

I am getting more confused now. Maybe if someone could explain to me what each of the 4 wires does?

Jan 22, 2009, 11:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kghastie View Post
    So I'm not quite sure what I am supposed to look for on that page (or "trace") that would give me my answer. That site does not suggest anything for a blue wire except to go to Y2 for a heat pump, which I don't think I have (although I am guessing).

I am getting more confused now. Maybe if someone could explain to me what each of the 4 wires does?
    It also lists blue as Sometimes common side of transformer. Try to follow that blue through the wall or and on to wherever it goes, or go open your air handler or furnace and see if the blue appears there.

It would also be helpful to know what we are controlling: furnace only, furnace and A/C, boiler, etc. Make and model too.

Jan 22, 2009, 12:05 PM

So since the blue wires are only listed under heat pump, does that mean I have a heat pump? How would I figure that out?

I mentioned that it is heating and air conditioning, but I don't know much more than that (I'm not at home right now to check out a model #).

It's gas, and it heats a large single-person apartment (my landlord is a deadbeat - that's why I am installing a thermostat myself without even knowing what kind of furnace I have). The old thermostat looked somewhat like this one:

http://www.inspect-ny.com/heat/Therm...ell537-DFs.jpg

It had Auto/Fan On and Heat/Cool/Off settings. Mercury tube inside.

The furnace itself was replaced recently, but I am pretty sure the thermostat is fairly old. I wouldn't trust that whoever installed the new furnace used proper techniques or standard wire colors (again, the landlords don't really care and have pretty sloppy, slap-dash repairmen on staff).

I can't trace the wires into the wall very far, but it's possible I'd be able to see where they connect to the furnace when I get home.

Does any of that help?

Thanks a lot!

Jan 22, 2009, 12:09 PM

Understood, and because this is not your property I would suggest you find out where that blue wire goes. Just so you know if you connect it up wrong you could blow the furnace transformer. Usually not an expensive fix but not something you want to get into, especially since its not your equipment.

Let us know what you find.
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2009, 04:30 PM

Hook the blue wire to the "Y" terminal and be done. Years ago they made a 4 wire cable that contained red,white,green and blue wires

Red-24 volts (power)
    Green-Blower
    Blue- air conditioning
    White-heat.

Jan 22, 2009, 11:50 PM
    Great - thanks guys! I'll connect it to the Y. So what is the C terminal that I have it connected to currently?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2009, 11:57 PM

C is common. Between C and R there will be 24 V all the time. "C" allows a thermostat to not relay on batteries and just use the batteries for backup. Mercury thermometers did not need the "C" terminal.

Jan 23, 2009, 06:37 AM

If you go back to the page I posted you'll see a diagram. At the top is a transformer to drive the thermostat. C is the common/neutral from a 24VAC transformer and R is usually the hot side. As mentioned some thermostats need power to drive their electronics, but your tstat use 24VAC, battery or both. Since you have no common you must power it with batteries.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is thermostat blue wire needed? [ 5 Answers ]

I'm replacing a old thermostat with a new digital Honeywell one. On the old one both the Yellow and Blue wires are connected to the Y screw. I also have a green, red, and white. The new ones instructions say do not use wires marked B. This one is not marked B but I figure it refers to the blue...

Wiring a thermostat with one are terminal with two transformers [ 8 Answers ]

I just bought a White Rodgers IF8RF-275 wireless remote sensor thermostat. It has only one R terminal, while my old system had a Rh and a Rc. I have an oil furnace hot water heat and a central A/C system. Each has its own transformer. How DO I wire the thermostat?

12-gauge wire will not fit in 20A outlet screw terminal [ 10 Answers ]

I have run conduit which came with 3-wire 12 gauge standed cable. I have it going to a 20A outlet, but all of the strands will not fit in the screw terminal. The breaker is a 15A. Can I trim a few of the 12 gauge strands to get the wire to fit onto the screw terminal? Are electrical outlets also...

No RC terminal on new thermostat? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello: I saw your name on an internet search for thermostat wiring problems, so I thought I would try you for this one. I could not get help elsewhere. I have an oil burner, and a separate a/c unit. I installed a programmable thermostat 2 years ago that works well, although the location is...

Yikes! A/C comes on; No heat (no green wire either) [ 3 Answers ]

I'm replacing an older Honeywell thermostat with a new programmable Noma/UPM model THM501. There are 4 wires - red, yellow, white and blue. On the Honeywell the blue wire was on the "G" terminal - all worked well. I wired up the new one the same way. However, although the new thermostat shows the...

View more questions Search