Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mddam Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2009, 07:41 PM
    New Jersey laws on health insurance
    I live with fience and want to put him on my insurance policy at work. They will not hear of it. My last job did as long as we lived together for at least a year. We have been together for years. What are my rights right, I pay for it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 21, 2009, 08:22 PM

You need to be married. Some companies have rules that allow,
    There is no law to require them to allow this. Some reconise lif partners for insurance others will not.

Most require you to be married. It can be either a rule of the insurance company or he company you work for
    sunny1ib Posts: 29, Reputation: 2

Mar 9, 2009, 08:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mddam View Post
    I live with fience and want to put him on my insurance policy at work. They will not hear of it. My last job did as long as we lived together for at least a year. We have been together for years. What are my rights right, I pay for it.
    The best thing to do is to check with your employer's HR Department. There are definitions as to coverage eligibility in the plan documents. There are also state definitions that should be considered too as each state has a different definition to a "spouse", "partner", "couple" etc.

If the HR Dept refuses to answer your question, or better yet, you want to see it in writing - ask for a copy of the certificate of coverage. Usually found in the beginning of the coverage booklet, the reader will be advised of the eligibility and definitions of terms of the group coverage.

If your fiancé is employed, he may have group benefits available to him. Depending upon your fiance's health, he may be eligible for an individual policy.

I am not an attorney. Information posted above should not be considered legal advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I still have health insurance? [ 2 Answers ]

I just turned 19 not too long ago, and my health insurance expired a couple of days ago. I used the insurance to get birth control, that my mom doesn't know about. My insurance was also dependent on my mom's. I heard somewhere that once someone turns 19, they can no longer be signed with their...

New Jersey Tax Laws [ 1 Answers ]

1. I live in PA and work part time with a firm at NJ. Payroll has been deducting NJ SDI, NJ SUI and PA SIT (besides Fed Income, Soc Sec and Medicare). Are they correct in their deductions ? 2. I assume the higher the Personal Allowance points in the W 4, the less is the tax withheld by the Company...

New jersey tenant laws [ 1 Answers ]

I live in an apartment and when I moved in I was aware I had to pay for my own utilities (gas, electric and water). I just recently found out he put my name on the sewer bill and that if it's not paid there will be a lien on the property so he keeps harassing me to pay it. I'm not sure if this is...

View more questions Search