Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    123qwe Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2009, 12:40 PM
    Visitation and Car Seats
    My ex is not allowed to see our children right now per a protective order that is in place. Once the judge makes his decision about visitation, if my ex is allowed to take the children over night, what do I have to supply? Is he legally required to provide everything needed for their care while they are with him? Can I refuse to send the children if he does not have his own car seats? I know that if he takes the children without car seats I can call the police as soon as he pulls away, but I would prefer to not even give him that much of a chance. I am afraid that anything I send will not come back or will come back in an unusable condition. I fear for my children going with him, but if the judge orders it, I am obligated to do it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 21, 2009, 01:07 PM

You can refuse to allow them to go unless he has proper car seats.

** To be honest don't expect the police to do much about the car seats if you call them, they will write you off as a hateful ex. Plus to be honest I stopped a car before and my Sgt came up and would not even let me write a ticket for it, just give them a warning.

So merely inform him "ahead of time" that he will need proper car seats to pick up the children
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2009, 01:22 PM

You are required to provide nothing except the clothes on their back. He is their parent... if he cannot manage to take care of them he shouldn't be getting visitation.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2009, 01:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetcg View Post
    You are required to provide nothing except the clothes on their back. He is their parent... if he cannot manage to take care of them he shouldn't be getting visitation.
    I have to partially disagree, Steve. We ask my husband's ex-wife to send along clothes on the kids' visitation weekends because quite frankly, it's pointless to have clothes at our house when we only see the children a few days a month; they grow out of them before they get any type of wear on them.

Granted, we wash the dirty clothes and send them back the next weekend; if the OP's ex isn't the way we are then I can see why she's hesitant to send anything. But us asking her to send clothes doesn't mean we can't provide for the kids; it just means it's more logical this way.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 21, 2009, 01:49 PM

I do even more personally, my ex sends all of my sons clothes to my house and I do his laundry and sends it back,
    But I have one son, if you send any clothes to his mothers home, you would never see it again.
    So if you can't trust him to give the clothes back, you may have to even have him sign for all items given to him
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2009, 01:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by this8384 View Post
    I have to partially disagree, Steve. We ask my husband's ex-wife to send along clothes on the kids' visitation weekends because quite frankly, it's pointless to have clothes at our house when we only see the children a few days a month; they grow out of them before they get any type of wear on them.

Granted, we wash the dirty clothes and send them back the next weekend; if the OP's ex isn't the way we are then I can see why she's hesitant to send anything. But us asking her to send clothes doesn't mean we can't provide for the kids; it just means it's more logical this way.
    While it SHOULD work that way, as far as I can find, there is no legal obligation to provide anything.

I agree with you and the reasoning but logic frequently does not prevail in domestic instances such as this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GMC windows and seats won't work [ 12 Answers ]

2003 GMC Denali - Both front seats have stopped working as have the passenger side windows. Driver side windows and both power mirrors work. What should I check first?

Senate open seats [ 4 Answers ]

What happens after the results of the election, since at least one Senate seat will be open. Does a special election occur or does someone appoint a replacement?

Power Windows & Seats Don't Work [ 4 Answers ]

2005 Chevy Tahoe/90,000 miles: Neither my drivers or passenger side power seats work. My passenger side power windows do not work, but my drivers side power windows do. I have replaced fuses several times and everything works for a few hours but then quits again. I called the dealer and they...

Child Car Seats [ 5 Answers ]

I am confused - I am booking a hire car in Ireland. I need a booster seat for my 7 & 9 year old sons. The options are Infants Seats and Toddler Seats. Any idea which one I should pick neither state age, or weight limits etc :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

View more questions Search