Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Aug 1, 2006, 05:34 PM
    Chevy Big Block Venting
    I have a friend with more money than God, but less common sense than a gerbil. He bought a 1968 SS 396 Camaro. He had an engine builder put together a 427 (454 block with 396 crank). It is a stout motor with gear drive. We have installed Baer disc brakes all around; tubular control arms and coil overs, and other trick stuff. After a few trophy runs he developed an oil leak because of a blown out (blue) oil pan gasket at the front of the block. The engine builder replaced the gasket and said not to worry. I and a couple of friends think that there is too much pressure in the crankcase, causing the seal to blow. The car has the PVC on one valve cover and a breather on the other one. We think that another breather should be put on the PVC side. Any opinions?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2006, 06:11 PM
    Dr. D, I would be inclined to first see if there is an aftermarket EPDM rubber coated metal oil pan gasket that would work. They are awesome. I use them on my high-performance 3.0L Ford Duratec Engine. I'm afraid you might upset the usefullness of the "PCV" valve and the manifold pressure by installing another breather.

Aug 1, 2006, 06:32 PM
    Is EPDM a brand name or a product description? The gasket that blew was the one in front right under the crank. I think that it was urethane. I have not heard of that gasket containing metal?? Assuming that the engine builder was not drunk when he put the pan on, I can't imagine it blowing out without excess pressure in the crankcase. Please advise.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2006, 06:46 PM
    EPDM (Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer) is a relatively new type of synthetic rubber material that's used on brake hoses and many types of gaskets these days. It's very tough and impervious to most solvents and oils. The EPDM molecule is very dense and does not easily allow air and moisture to be absorbed through brake hoses. Gaskets made with EPDM are totally reusable and are vitually impossible to mess up. Ford has used this type of pan gasket for a number of years; a number of quality aftermarket part suppliers are starting to use them, as well. They are light years better than anything else I've seen. It's all a function of the application, however.

Aug 2, 2006, 09:24 AM
    I did a Google search fot EPDM gaskets, and got a bunch of hits that were not automobile specific. Do you know of a brand name, or automotive distributor carrying gaskets made from this material? Also, please excuse my use of the term PVC, when I meant to use PCV.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Mental Block [ 2 Answers ]

What's up, Im a Sophomore in high school, and I'm in high jump right now and the state tourny is right around the corner, does anybody know how I can go just 3 or 4 more inchees higher. I have been going 6 3 all year but there is a mental block after that, what are some tips for me to get that...

Block MSN Messenger [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to stop MSN messenger from working on a PC? I have found many articles that say they can stop it but they only seem to stop Windows Messenger. I know I can just uninstall it but then it can just as easily be re-installed. I would also prefer to be able to block it without...

New kid on the block [ 11 Answers ]

I have been asked to come over here and check this site out by one of you, and so I am here. Some of you know me, some don't. I am not here to argue with anyone. I don't want to banter or name call or any of the other childish things I've experienced on other sites such as this. I love our Lord...

Vent, Block or What? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, seeking advise on bathroom drain problem for my old P&B home. Tub and toilet back up and drain slowly. To date, I've tried unblocking chemicles, pulled the toilet and ran a heavy duty tape over 30' down the line. I also rain small snake down sink and tub. The kitchen and laundry both drain...

Rectangular block [ 1 Answers ]

A rectangular block has a height of 20cm and a square base of side 10 cm. It is placed with its square base on a rectangular board . When the board is tilted about one edge, it makes an angle A with the horizontal when the block is at the point of toppling over . Find the value of A.

View more questions Search