Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    whisky4 Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2009, 01:32 AM
    Sagging counter top
    Hi,this about sagging counter top in corner,I put down (2)opposing sheets of 3/4 inch plywood
    Then installed a sheet of laminate on top got ready to put back splash on and the corner I had
    A gap of about 1/2 inch which really surprised me,has anybody had this happen to them.
    What appears to make it hard to fix is it is the corner and behind a lazy susan.
    What I thought about doing is to go under the house in the area where the corner of cabinets
    Are and if measure right bore a hole up through the floor and put some kind of screw like a jack
    And push corner of counter top up so that back splash is flat and yes we put a level on the top of cabinets and they were level before we added the plywood to top of cabinets,thank,s
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2009, 02:58 AM

Boy that's is a tough position. This why I drill into my guys head to add a nailer in the corners behind the corner base cabinets.
    I would cut out a small section of the drywall 3 inches up from the counter top, and the 4' back splash will hide that cut Pry it up from there. Find a stud on either side of that corner and cut a 5'1/2' long 2by stud scab. Lift the counter top up and slip the scab under it , lay the 2by sideways/flat perpendicular on that stud with the extra under the counter top someone just lifted for you and holding it. Once you get the correct height put two screws in the scab to the stud. Like a floor overhang or a shelf bracket and use the stud to anchor the scab and the extra is under the counter and it hangs on the scab. If you get a good solid set up now you can pilot drill a hole close in that corner and screw the counter to the scab and make sure the screw is hidden under the 3/4 back splash when you set it. Now it's a piece of drywall to fill in the one cut and the back splash will set in and glue to it. Since you kept the drywall cut 1' below the back splash there is not need for paint or compound.

Think of it as a roof over hang off the stud that the counter sits on and the scab is a good permanent solution and no jacking that way.

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sagging boobs [ 7 Answers ]

If any one will know of these things it will be you ladies who have just been or are going through it... I had my son last feb and gained a few stretch marks which I don't mind but also breast fed which has made my boobs sag the skin is lose and not tones now as I have re gained my before pregancy...

Breast Sagging [ 2 Answers ]

After delivering my child, my breasts have absolutely sagged. They look very shabby. How can I have nice, toned up, sexy breasts.

Sagging doors [ 6 Answers ]

I am the maintenance person at a local school and have come across a problem with some side by side double steel doors that seem to sag so bad they don't want to close now, they rub together on top. All th hinges seem to be tight I even replaced one top one thinking maybe the pin could be wore out...

Sagging Breasts [ 1 Answers ]

How do you get rid of sagging breasts after breastfeeding your baby for almost a year? And stop your breasts from looking or getting smaller?

Breast sagging [ 5 Answers ]

I've recently had a baby and I breastfed for a while, now my breast sag some and they don't look the same from before I got pregnant. Like they've gotten smaller. I've been thinking about implants but its too much money. So I've started taking pills that help increase bust size. The pills are...

View more questions Search