Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    outofplumb Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2009, 12:01 AM
    Bathtub drains slow
    I recently renovated a bathroom, but left the old plumbing in place, and simply reattached to the new tub. The drain system is such that the tub and sink both run towards the stack on same pipeline with the tub furthest away (maybe 10 feet total length, with two 90 degree bends).

Before the reno, the draining seemed fine. Now, it probably takes 3 minutes to drain a quarter full tub! I assume its clogged and should get a snake, but I was wondering if there might be some other issue? Another clue is that sometimes when I run a lot of water in the sink, there is a gargling sound coming from the tub drain.

Anyway, thought id see what answers I can get... thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 21, 2009, 06:22 AM
    The drain system is such that the tub and sink both run towards the stack on same pipeline with the tub furthest away (maybe 10 feet total length, with two 90 degree bends).
    Another clue is that sometimes when I run a lot of water in the sink, there is a gargling sound coming from the tub drain.
    The two 90's will slow the drainage down and encorage clogs. The gurgling sound from the tub tells me that the tub's venting out of the tub waste and that the lavatory vent's clogged. Rent a sewer machine,(see image) and snake from the lavatory roof vent. Put out enough cable to reach the base and 16feet more. Good luck and thank you for rating my answer. Tom

Jan 23, 2009, 03:24 AM
    Makes sense, except there is no 'lavatory vent'. Its an old house, and the whole bath plumbing is just vented off the main stack (into which the pipe runs from the tub and sink drains). The stack is vertical 4" cast iron, so I don't see how that could be clogged. Isn't it more likely that there is a clog in the pipe down stream from the sink? Hence, that's why the sink tries to vent through the tub drain...

If I'm right, how would I unclog this? Snake from the sink drain?
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 26, 2009, 04:49 PM
    there is no 'lavatory vent'. Its an old house, and the whole bath plumbing is just vented off the main stack (into which the pipe runs from the tub and sink drains). The stack is vertical 4" cast iron, so I don't see how that could be clogged. Isn't it more likely that there is a clog in the pipe down stream from the sink? Hence, that's why the sink tries to vent through the tub drain...
    You don't have a clog or a drainage problem. You sink's venting through the tub waste because it has nowhere else to vent. Install a AAV( Air Admittance Vent) just dowstream of the lavatory trap and ree if that doesn't solfe the problem. Good luck, Tom

Jan 26, 2009, 05:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    You don't have a clog or a drainage problem. You sink's venting through the tub waste because it has nowhere else to vent. Install a AAV( Air Admittance Vent) just dowstream of the lavatory trap and ree if that doesn't solfe the problem. good luck, Tom

Cool thanks for the follow up.

Another quick question: what if I installed an AAV, or even an actual vent downstream from the tub but upstream from the lavatory, would that solve the problem, or help? (its logistically much easier to do this for my bathroom setup)

I don't quite understand the venting process... but is the idea that air has to come in behind the draining water to allow it to flow quickly?
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2009, 08:08 PM

The Image below may help you, good luck.

John
    Attached Images

Jan 26, 2009, 08:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by afaroo View Post
    The Image below may help you, good luck.

John
    I need x-ray vision to see that tiny pic.

and an AAV won't work on my pedestal sink... not enough room.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2009, 08:25 PM

You have not mention any where that you have a pedestal sink, I just wanted you to see how the AAV can be installed.

If you want to fix your problem you need to install a vent some where, follow Tom's instructions he it the master, good luck.

John
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 29, 2009, 07:24 AM
    another quick question: what if I installed an AAV, or even an actual vent downstream from the tub but upstream from the lavatory, would that solve the problem, or help? (its logistically much easier to do this for my bathroom setup)
    This is a "S" trap,(see image) If any bof your fixture traps look like this the fixture's unvented. "S" traps are outlawed and against code. How many do you have? Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slow Drains on some drains; others are fine [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Ranch on a basement built circa 1960. The house was completely gutted (new kitchen cabinets and appliances and all new bathrooms.. . hardwood refinished upstairs and re-sealed and the downstairs basement was re-finished as well) and remodeled inside before we bought it. After living in...

Bathtub drains slow [ 1 Answers ]

My bathtub drain is the type that you push on the stopper to close and then push again and it pops up to open. It is made by Delta. The stopper I am referring to is metal and is "fixed" in the drain. How do I remove this stopper mechanism to clean the drain. Thanks for any assistance you can...

Slow drains [ 2 Answers ]

Pretty much every drain in my house is running slow or backs-up. Is there a central problem with the drainage or should I tackle each situation idependantly?

Slow drains [ 1 Answers ]

Being from TX with the recent heavy rains I have noticed our drains are now running slower that usual, we are on a septic system. Is this indicative of more serious problems or related to the recent high ground saturation?

Bathtub drains slow or not at all [ 9 Answers ]

My bathtub has been slow, very slow, on and off for years. Sometimes drain cleaner helps but most times it doesn't. We actually keep a plunger in the bathroom and my daughter now showers on a step stool! After furiously plunging for hours today I finally searched for the source. I found a drum trap...

View more questions Search