Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hoping4aBFP Posts: 64, Reputation: 6

Aug 1, 2006, 02:40 PM
    Does Green Tea negate folic acid?
    I've heard that it's good to drink green tea while trying to conceive, but then again I've heard that it's bad. Does it negate the effects of folic acid? Can anyone clarify this for me? :confused:
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 1, 2006, 02:45 PM
    This is one that is still up for debate. I would stick to vitamins that contain folic acid if you are already taking them.
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Aug 1, 2006, 09:20 PM
    This is interesting. This is the first time I have ever heard this. I'll have to read about it myself. Thanks. :)
    Hoping4aBFP Posts: 64, Reputation: 6

Aug 8, 2006, 06:50 PM
    Well, I haven't had much green tea lately considering the fact that I don't know if it is good or bad.

I am still taking prenatals so I am sticking to the folic acid because I know that is good for me.

Did you ever read up on this, Thomas? I thought it was pretty interesting myself and I am still flustered...
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Aug 8, 2006, 09:33 PM
    No, I haven't had a chance to read about it yet. On my "to do" list. :)
    ktlasers Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2007, 08:15 PM
    The January 2008 issue of Pregnancy magazine had an article on this. They said that green and black teas (black much less than green) inhibit the body's absorption of folic acid. If you are going to drink it, drink it away from meals containing folic acid and certainly away from taking your folic acid supplement. Pregnant women and women trying to conceive should take 400 mcg of folic acid, though many healthcare professionals recommend 800 mcg. Men should also take 400-800 mcg for prostate health.
    Behavedoc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2010, 07:36 AM
    Yes it appears with some early bio assay studies that the bioavailability of colic acid can be potentially reduced up to 39% with green or black tea in at least one study. Implode md

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Acid did not go down [ 5 Answers ]

I was told by the guy at the hardware store that if plunging and using a snake don't work, try sulfuric acid. I bought a bottle and followed the instructions, but it didn't seem to work. The instructions say to flush five times when the drain is open, but I don't think it is and I'm afraid of...

Acid Hydrolysis [ 2 Answers ]

I want to know everything about ACID HYDROLYSIS Would you please refer me a LINK which describe this method completely? I want to know how is it and what happened for proteins,polysaccharides and... in this process Actually I want to know what happen in below process and why we saw NH3 in it "...

Folic acid [ 7 Answers ]

Is it safe for me to take folic acid and prenatal vitamins at the same time even though I hadn't had my period for 7 months? It been a week I have been taking it but I don't even know if I suppose to be experincing some symptons or not.. or is it safe?

Glutathione and ascorbic acid [ 2 Answers ]

just want to ask if a generic kind of ascorbic acid is OK to take with glutathione. I saw a product called sustained release ascorbic acid which releases the same in small doses over a period, they say up to 10 hours and better absorbed by the body. I plan to take 1000 mg pure glutathione (dr...

View more questions Search