Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    countrygirl1128 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2009, 06:52 PM
    What rights does a father in a joint state separation?
    I am 19 and I am currently living in Michigan with the Father of our son but we are having problems and he keeps saying he is going to take him from me. What rights does he have if I decide to leave Michigan and come to Ohio to live with my parents?
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2009, 07:32 PM

If he files for custody or visitation you could be forced to move back to the state. Right now MI has jurisdiction and it takes a period... 90-180 days for your new home to take it.

In that time you can be forced to bring the baby back for visitation (at your expense).

He may or may not get custody but "take him from you" is just manly control talk to make you fear losing your child. Chances are the best he will get is joint custody (in normal circumstances).
    123qwe Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2009, 12:56 PM

Talk to an attorney before you leave the state with the child. Unless there is due cause, fear, abuse, etc. he can use this against you in court when it comes to deciding custody.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 21, 2009, 02:15 PM

Yes, in a custody order, you could be ordered to remain in this state, if not, he could end up with custody.

But he has every right to sue in court for joint custody, he gets 1/2 of the time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Joint State taxes when I live in 1 state and wife lives in another [ 3 Answers ]

Presently I am living and working in NM. My wife and children are living in MA. My wife does not work. In order to get MA health Insurance I had to set my permanent address in MA for my company. I am now paying state taxes to both states. Should I be paying taxes in the state that I am not living...

How does an unmarried father get joint custody [ 4 Answers ]

I just broke up with my long time girlfriend and we have a one year old. Now she won't let me see him and I have never been away from him in his life. It has only been 3 days and I am going crazy calling lawyer after lawyer and I can't find one that is willing to help me. Please let me know what I...

Joint custody! Why if Father having been in life. [ 5 Answers ]

My child father has not seen my child since she was born. Now that I took him to court for child support he wants to get back at me by filing for joint custody. Also I recently discover that he have over 6 kids with different women one being only a couple of months older than my child. He has done...

Father wants Joint Custody after 12 years [ 2 Answers ]

I joined this group in hope to find out what the chances are that my sons father will receive Joint custody. I am pretty sure he is going for 50% of the time. Some history of my situation~ My son 12 yrs old was born out of wedlock we stayed together for about 1 1/2 years, after that we went...

Separation of State and Religion. Or something like that [ 30 Answers ]

I remember learning about separation of state and religion. What it basically said is that the government decisions will not be based on religion. What I do not understand is why homosexuals' can't get married. Isn't that a religion thing?

View more questions Search