Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Elysee001 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2009, 02:18 PM
    Federal tax Resident alien Spouse works out of US File married jointly
    Hi,

I have a question for 2008 tax. I am a resident alien for tax purpose from 2006. My husband works out of US (he got the SSN when he stayed as F-1 in US) and has no US income. I wonder if I can file as status married jointly? I understand that I need to claim his worldwide income. Since his income is less than $85,700, I am thinking that filing as married jointly might be better than filing as married separately (which I did in the past two years before I knew that I might file jointly).

If I can file as status married jointly, which forms do I fill? By reading other posts, I understand that I may file Form 2555 to exclude foreign income up to $85,700. But I am confused by From 1116. So I am posting this question for any advice on the forms to fill if I can file jointly.

I would greatly appreciate any light you can shed on this matter.

Elysee
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 20, 2009, 11:42 PM

Yes, you can file joint return. You must both declare your worldwide income.
    If you paid taxes in the foreign country, you will claim credit for taxes paid in the foreign country by filing Form 1116 or can file form 2555 Foreign Earned Income Exclusion.. Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Citizen or Resident with Foreign Income
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 21, 2009, 01:05 PM
    In order to file Form 2555, your husband must be a U.S. citizen or resident alien for the ENTIRE period of the exclusion.

In other words, he must have been a resident alien before he left the U.S.

Based on your posting, he was a non-resident alien when he departed the U.S. so he is NOT eligible to file Form 2555.

As for preparing the Form 1116, follow the instructions carefully. If you find the instructions confusing, then you are in "over your head" and should get professional tax help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

(resident + non-resident alien) married filing jointly [ 1 Answers ]

I'm on F1 (non-resident alien) and spouse is resident alien. First time, we are making election to be treated as resident for tax year 2007. 1) do I need to pay back FICA (social secuity & medicare taxes) that were not withheld on my summer income in 2007? 2) since we need to attach a...

Dual Status Married Filing Jointly? Or Treaty-Based Single Non-Resident Alien? [ 1 Answers ]

I worked in the US for a US company in 2006 (TN visa) for 1.5 months and filed a non-resident alien return as a single person. I worked in 2007 in the US until the end of August (still on TN visa), then returned home to Canada and worked for a Canadian employer for the rest of the year. I had a...

Resident alien married to Nonresident alien- 1040 details [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a straightforward question: I am a resident alien who is married to a nonresident alien. We have one child who is my dependent. I will be filing as head of household and will claim an exemption for my wife (she does not work) and for my child. Do I still need to write my wife's...

Married file jointly with Residence Alien status [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I am a new comer here and have a question about tax. I came to US in 2003 as F1 so now I am still a non-residence alien for tax purpose. I got married last november(2007.11). And My wife is a Residence alien for tax purpose. We decided to file jointly this year and want to make sure...

Married while on OPT and H1B.Should I file jointly with my spouse on H1B ? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was on working on OPT from April 2007 to Sep 2007 and then on H1B from Oct 2007 -Dec 2007. My spouse has been on H1B for last 7 years so he's considered as resident alien. We filed our taxes jointly in 2005 and 2006. Since I was on OPT my employer did not deduct Social security...

View more questions Search