Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ronald2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2009, 01:33 PM
    Door Bell
    Can someone help me with wiring a doorbell.

One button, with one bell upstair and one bell downstair.

Thank you
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2009, 06:21 PM

Transformer,pushbutton, and chime/bell need to be wired in a loop(series), so when pushbutton is pressed, the bell rings.
    Then hook second chime/bell to same to terminals as first chime. Transformer VA may need to be increased, if transformer is too small. voltage will remain the same.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2009, 08:13 PM

Hold it.

Find a convenient place like where the transformer is located and do home runs to that location.

The old doorbells had 3 wires (front, common back). Yours might have an extra wire for power.

One end of the secondary becomes common. One end of the switch also connects to common. So, you will have 4 wires attached to common (xformer, switch(front), switch(back) and bell(common)

The other end of the front switch goes to front on the bell.
    The other end of the rear switch goes to rear on the bell.

The key is running all of the wires to a central location.

It could be the transformer and the transformer is in the basement as an example.

Use thermostat wire. At least 4 conductor to the bell.
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2009, 09:35 PM

Hold it one more time.
    If new, Run all wiring to one location(downstairs chime)Transformer will be mounted in a 1900 box with an extension ring, then run wiring from doorbell to Chime/transformer location.
    When you hook to the chime, you need to use the common and the Front, or common and the rear. Same 2 connections will connect to 2 conductors minimum to upstairs chime.
    Good Luck.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2009, 10:12 PM

Why did I miss the question?

Two bells, one button.

I did two bells, two buttons.

Normally the wiring would be transformer, then switch, then bell, and returning to the transformer. Everything in series.

The second bell just needs to be wired in parallel with the first bell. Piggybacked, so to speak.

Still, wiring to a central location with wires labeled is the best way to go.

If you can post a link to the doorbell system, that would be great.

I use a wireless system to extend the bell. A gizmo mounts in the bell and then wirelessly transmits a signal to a plug in device that plugs in anywhere.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2009, 01:46 AM

Hi, Ronald2!

I have nothing to add to the above, excellent answers other than, if this is for a new installation, you might also need to use a very long drill bit to get the wires to go where they need to go, if installing the wires in floors and walls.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2009, 06:20 AM

At this point I don't know if wiring has already been done, and only connections needed, or running wires from scratch.
    We could all be right.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A door bell chime? [ 1 Answers ]

Why would the motor keep humming when you push the button?

Diodes in a door bell [ 1 Answers ]

Would you tell me what is the purpose of a diode in a door bell push botton?

Door bell wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I recently replaced my front door bell because it kept going off without being pushed. When I removed the old one I noticed some type of diode or resistor thingy behind the button linking the two leads together. The new button did not come with this thingy. Now when I press the new button it...

Door bell wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know what the circuit of a door bell (front lighted button) no back door bell, how it is wired with four wires. Two solid blue and two blue/white. Four each on the transformer ane four on the bell transdusher. Two on the button, front door. How does this work?

Door Bell Ringer [ 5 Answers ]

I move to this House, and the door bell sound more like a alarm than a door bell( is extremely loud and irritating). The ringer brand is bticino (model 382321 made in Italy). I been looking to change this one to a more easy to listen chime or bell. But everything I found is an external bell box....

View more questions Search