Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    VictorDavid Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2009, 08:01 AM
    How do insulate
    The previous owner build an addition to the house and build basement under old portion of the house only, so on the bottom of the old portion he left empty space. So it's like empty space between floor and the fundament. There is no supporting beams and the floor is allways called. How can I insulate? With what? Would it be the cheapest solution?:confused:
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 20, 2009, 06:23 PM

Love to help Victor but you must tell me what a fundament is before we can get started.
    logan176 Posts: 341, Reputation: 6

Jan 20, 2009, 07:44 PM

I think he's trying to say foundation. It seems like the floor of the addition was built in the same manner as a deck.

VictorDavid,
    Is there a concrete foundation under the floor? If so, how much space is there between the floor and the foundation? How far apart are the joists?

Jan 21, 2009, 07:19 AM

logan176 and ballengerb1

Yes there is a concrete foundation and there is about 3-4 feet space between.

Jan 21, 2009, 07:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by logan176 View Post
    I think he's trying to say foundation. It seems like the floor of the addition was built in the same manner as a deck.

VictorDavid,
    Is there a concrete foundation under the floor? If so, how much space is there between the floor and the foundation? How far apart are the joists?
    Yes there is a concrete foundation under floor but there is about 3-4 feet space between concrete and wood that holds the floor.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 21, 2009, 05:50 PM

Ok that wood must have joists so fill the joist cavity with faced insulation batts or rolls. The face should be up againist the underside of the floor. Friction may not be enough to hold so thin furring strips might be in order or thin wire stretched back and forth off roofing nails. Thiness of your insulation is dependent on the size of the joist and the climate you are in. Most insulation has a chart printed on the side.
    logan176 Posts: 341, Reputation: 6

Jan 22, 2009, 03:39 PM

Ballenger, I was thinking the same thing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to insulate a cathedral ceiling in a house [ 10 Answers ]

Please tell me how to insulate a catherdral ceiling

Best way to insulate vaulted roof [ 6 Answers ]

We currently live in a modular home that was built in 1989. The middle of the house has vaulted ceilings, the two ends of the home, where the bedrooms are, have regular ceilings. There is only attic space access on one end of the house. I was wondering what would be the best way to install extra...

Insulate in metal studs [ 2 Answers ]

I studded the outside walls in my attached house. Would I use duct tape to hold the insulation to the metal studs before rock?

Insulate water heater [ 1 Answers ]

My electric water heater is in an unheated garage. Should I wrap extra insulation around I? If so, is there anything I need to know?

View more questions Search