Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FANMAN123 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2009, 07:28 PM
    Fan won't work !
    Hello there.. I have this pedestal fan that will not start ! When switched on, the motor makes a humming sound as if it is working on the inside but the blades will just not begin rotating! I have tried to help start it by manually giving it a round with my fingers.. of no use. Before I dump the fan with a sad sigh I would like to try a repair.. any suggestions folks ?
    andrewc24301 Posts: 374, Reputation: 29

Jan 19, 2009, 08:25 PM

Is this just an ordinary household fan?
    If so, then I'd say it's shot. I know how you feel, I hate discarding a fan myself. I need a loud one to sleep by, and loud fans are getting hard to find.

If it's a higher cost (over $50) industiral fan, then you may just be able to replace the motor. But motors are normally not replacable in smaller household fans.
    mvteece Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2011, 05:37 PM
    I have a small household coolmaster fan and its never worked I found it in a dumpster and its brand new I was wondering if there is anything I can do to fix it? For you problem It sounds like something is stripped in the gears that turn the fan blade!
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2011, 10:43 PM
    If it has a capacitor it could be bad. That fan is normally direct drive with no gears. Check the cap with an ohm meter which should read ohms then read open. When leads are switched it will do same thing. If there is a bleed resister on it it will read low ohms then go to value of resister. Sounds like an open cap. DrTom4444

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Saturn won't start, power locks won't work, radio resets itself. [ 4 Answers ]

My 99 Saturn has had some starting problems in the past. It would sometimes not start but if you let it sit from anywhere from 45 minutes to 24 hours, it would eventually start. Or, after having Dad look at it, we could tap the starter and it would work. So we thought it was the starter. I...

Carrier Heater won't shut off! Blows only cool air. Heat won't work! [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know what I can do? My carrier heater is only 2 years old. As of yesterday the heater unit wouldn't shut off and when I turn the heat up it just keeps blowing cool air. I heard I can trip a breaker switch. Is that the electrical switch in the garage or on the heater itself? Please let...

My ballast won't work I think do to 120V supply when it's a 240V ballast will this work [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 240V 60Hz 600W ballast and Im trying to hook it up in a small nursury room in my home. I like in California so I think the V ac is 120. Can I use this converter on the top of this page. Will it work if I plug it in to the wall that supplies what I think 120V. I think this because on the...

My New PC won't Work - [ 7 Answers ]

Well I just got these new stuff for my PC. 8800 GT gfx card P5N-E SLI Motherboard Intel core 2 duo -E6750 2gig ram Corsair 2x1024. Well this is the problem. I turn it on. And I go to safe mode.. loads of writing comes down the screen but stops after like 20 lines. The PC then restarts.....

Kenmore he4 panel won't work and dryer won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I have had the circuit board/panel replaced once on my he4. I had only 2 weeks left on the warranty and figured it should be OK once it was fixed. They wanted another $200 to renew the warranty! Didn't have the $$ at the time. Anyway, the same darn thing is happening... you have to push the buttons...

View more questions Search