Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    myjlstevens Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2009, 02:43 PM
    Water damage from a roof leak - 2 repairs failed - can we go to small claims
    We had a leak in a small portion of our roof. Got an estimate from one place which was high - we chose to go with a friends son who cost less ($250). We did not sign a contract. He just gave us an estimate. He repaired the roof. After the first rain it leaked again. We called him out and he fixed the roof again. This time we painted and repaired the ceiling.
    After the next rain - it leaked again redamaging the ceiling. We called - he said he would be out. He never showed when he said he would. Never returned calls. We finally reached him by phone and he said he had been busy. We told him to forget it - his repairs were faulty.
    We had the first company come out - $650 (we signed a contract). They said nail hole was not sealed, shingles were not replaced, and flashing was improper which we have in writing. We paid an additional $650 and by the time they came out another rain caused even more damage to the ceiling.
    We at least want to get our $250 back from the first guy + $150 we were quoted to repair the ceiling.
    What are our chances in small claims court?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2009, 03:49 PM

Actually not to bad, Even a verbal agreement is somewhat binding in court. When and if you go the biggest asset is if you have your phone records to prove that he was called and given the chance to make it right. That proves that he had a reasonable amount of time to either address the situation or to give a refund.
    I'm a contractor and I feel if the roof leaked in the repaired area than then that souls have held. If it was another area that's different. Roof repair can be a pain. I cover this problem by the contract only applies to the repaired area and not others that may pop up. If our patch did not hold we either make it right or return a FULL refund and say sorry.

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 19, 2009, 04:22 PM

Will you win in small claims court? Most likely. You have the second contractors statement that the repair was poorly done.

But winning is only half the battle. You then have to collect. Unless you know where this kid banks, the likelihood of your collecting is pretty small.
    Justice Matters Posts: 210, Reputation: 27

Jan 20, 2009, 10:23 AM
    The success of your claim will depend on part on two elements which have not been thoroughly detailed in your post.

1. How wide in scope was the work of the first contractor supposed to be? Specifically, should it have caught any and all causes of the leak and involve the repair of same.

2. Were the deficiencies found by the second contractor (ie. Nail hole was not sealed, shingles were not replaced, and flashing was improper) the result of the previous contractor's failings or were they pre-existing and thus the cause of the leak in the first place?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Small roof to protect heat pump from snow off metal roof [ 5 Answers ]

We are getting a metal roof put on our old house. This means that the snow will slide off and land onto our air source heat pump. We need to construct a small roof to protect it. We were thinking of extending the 2 x 6 roof rafters another 4 feet and then having 2 x6 or 4 x 4's going back to the...

Small water leak in refrig [ 1 Answers ]

Small water leak in refrig at dad's house. Small amount of water on floor under front of frige. Thanks in advance

Moving water in toilet bowl (and a small leak) [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, OK, this is sort of a weird issue to describe. (if it even is an issue) Let me start by describing my toilet. I live in a NYC co-op and this is a commercial style toilet. It has no tank, just feeds directly from the pipe in the wall. The toilet was re-seated twice, once when I renovated...

Very small leak at solder joint of hot water pipe [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I am concerned about a small leak (very small drip) at a solder joint of a hot water pipe. Should I have a plumber come and re-solder the joint or is there a produce I can purchase that will safely stop the leak. Thank you in advance for your assistance,

Repairs for damage from previous tenants [ 1 Answers ]

I currently live in Missouri. Recently our complex changed the rules regarding moving out. They sent out a letter that indicated that we, the current tenant, must make all repairs and clean the apartments to, "bring them up to the standards of the board." In the letter it when on to state, "We...

View more questions Search