Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    elf2009 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2009, 02:38 PM
    Terrified of a leash
    How can I get my dog on a leash? He will not move when you put one on him, he is two years old & he has never had one on. Please help, tell me what I can do to ease his fear.
    nm123nm Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2009, 02:56 PM

You'll want him to associate the leash with something good, so something you could try is when you feed him, attach it to his collar for a minute, and then take it off when he stops eating. Also every day, just attach it to his collar at short increments (ex: day 1, for 5 minutes and later for 10 minutes, day 2, for 15 minutes and later for 20 minutes, etc) and just let it dangle. Don't take him for a walk with it yet, and let him just walk around the house with it on. Once he's gotten used to it, start holding onto the other end for short increments again. And you still want him to associate it with something good, so maybe in the other hand you can hold a bone/chew toy. If he ends up trying to chew the leash (and he probably will at first), take it off until he's calmed down.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I'm terrified of MICE [ 5 Answers ]

I live in the country across from a cornfield in eastern Nebraska. I have been here for 8 years and we normally will see a mouse once a year around this time, every year we have seen the mouse because one of my cats had it in his mouth or had it cornered. I have never worried about them because I...

Completely terrified [ 5 Answers ]

How can I tell my parents, whom I have no bond whatsoever with, that I have been depressed for 5 years and in need of help withouth becoming physically sick, shaky, utterly terrified, dizzy, lightheaded, and scared? :(

Dog terrified of thinderstorms [ 2 Answers ]

I have 6yr old black male German Shepherd, 110 lbs, that is terrified of thunderstorms (lightning and thunder). He was not like this as a puppy until after 6-8 mo old. It has gotten worse with each season and this has been the worst storms. He has been jumping up on the door and the knob for the...

View more questions Search