Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mistymcrorey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2009, 03:32 AM
    Changing daughters last name
    OK my 2 daughters have my last name and I want to get it changed to there biological fathers last name how do I go about and doing it and how much does it cost?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 19, 2009, 04:47 AM

Assuming the bio father agrees, you can merely do a name change at the county court house, most have some basic fill in the bank forms or some can be down loaded from the internet.

Filing fees differ around the county,
    100 to 300 most likely.
    mmaciag920 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2011, 09:59 AM
    I have the same situation. When my daughter was born, me and her biological father were not married but since then, we have gotten married so I called the county court and town clerk and both said I would have to speak to a lawyer to change her last name even though we are both her biological parents so the above is not true... sorry.
    mmaciag920 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2011, 09:59 AM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    I have the same situation. When my daughter was born, me and her biological father were not married but since then, we have gotten married so I called the county court and town clerk and both said I would have to speak to a lawyer to change her last name even though we are both her biological parents so the above is not true... sorry.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2011, 10:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mmaciag920 View Post
    I have the same situation. When my daughter was born, me and her biological father were not married but since then, we have gotten married so i called the county court and town clerk and both said I would have to speak to a lawyer to change her last name even though we are both her biological parents so the above is not true...sorry.
    First, this thread is 2.5 years old. Please pay attention to the dates when posting, as your post has now bumped an old question to the top of the forum.

Secondly, no - you do not need an attorney. That might be what a clerk told you; it doesn't mean it's true. If both parents are in agreement, a lawyer is not necessary.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing daughters last name [ 1 Answers ]

I am from Syracuse, Ny and I was wondering if there any type of assistance that could help me pay for the court fees for changing my daughters last name?

Changing my daughters last name [ 1 Answers ]

I have a six year old daughter. When she was born, her biological father was not around to sign the birth certificate so he is not on the birth certificate and she has my maiden name. He pays child support but has never visited her. I have married and I would like to change her last name to my...

Changing daughters name [ 1 Answers ]

I want to change my daughters middle name.. she is 2, soon to be 3 yrs old.. anyone know if I can do this or how much it would cost? Thanks

Changing my daughters name [ 1 Answers ]

I want to change my daughter's last name (which is my maiden last name) to my married last name her how do I say it sperm donor is not on her birth certificate. She is going on four years old and he has never paid child support even though ordered or had anything to do with her, he doesn't even...

View more questions Search