Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    uhhleesha Posts: 105, Reputation: 21

Jan 18, 2009, 05:58 PM
    Renting vs. Buying
    I'm going to be attending college this winter quarter on the other side of the united states. I plan on living in Seattle region, more specifically Edmonds area. I have a place to stay 'till I find somewhere to live, and I don't have a job lined up. However, I'm saving up money for myself when I do happen to move out. My mom said she'd pay for my schooling as long as I have a job, and that would crunch out a lot of budget money. However, I'm wondering which would be better for me, financially, as a student?

Renting I wouldn't be able to paint, and I'm scared after four years I'd have thrown out money on something that isn't mine but someone else's.

Buying a house would require a loan unless I saved up money for the down payment, but when it's paid off the house would be mine.

I'm torn here. What do you think?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 18, 2009, 06:15 PM

Do you plan on staying and living in the seattle area after graduating? Unless you do, I wouldn't suggest buying. Mortgages are front loaded so you would develop very little equity in the first 4 years.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 18, 2009, 06:43 PM

Well three years ago, my advice may have been different.

Here in Atlanta, it was common for college studnets to buy condo's or apartment homes near the school. Their values increased enough over 4 or 5 years to be an investment,

But the last few yearss, they will not get enough from the sale to even pay off the loan now.

Normally after school the same place will not be what you want.

So renting is still often a good choice till ou are out of school

Jan 18, 2009, 09:58 PM

I plan on living there way after college. Maybe even permanently live there. I was thinking about houses that have been foreclosure, bankruptcy, and other uhoh accidents that could be used in my favour. Usually those houses are sold for the remaining balance and maybe some interest instead of the realtor's price.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 19, 2009, 06:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by uhhleesha View Post
    I plan on living there way after college. Maybe even permanently live there. I was thinking about houses that have been foreclosure, bankruptcy, and other uhoh accidents that could be used in my favour. Usually those houses are sold for the remaining balance and maybe some interest instead of the realtor's price.
    Umm no. Generally a foreclosure has a high balance. If the homeowner has a lot of equity, then they will be more likely to be able to sell it on their own. You might be able to pick up a handyman's special, but Seattle real estate prices are pretty high.

However, if you do plan on living there permanently or long term. Then it may not be a bad idea, if you have the down payment and the income.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2009, 02:13 PM

There is also the point that you do not have a job. Who is going to give you a mortgage?

Jan 25, 2009, 02:31 PM

I have a place to stay and I could look for a job during that time, as I stated before.

I'm pretty much sold on renting now, my mom and I discussed it. She said it'd probably be cheaper for me, and if I decided I didn't like Seattle I could simply move after college or when my lease is up.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2009, 05:03 PM

Do you have a good credit score, a huge downpayment? If not, then you'll almost have to be a renter. A job would also help. Right now you probably don't have either so this is just a pipe dream of yours for now.

Jan 28, 2009, 10:04 PM

Yes my credit score is good, but I've already decided on renting. I don't have a huge down payment, but, like I said I'm sold on renting.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Renting a car [ 4 Answers ]

I want to drive from N.Y. to Florida is it a better ideal to rent a car for the week going that far or taking your own car? If so what are some of the advantages in renting a car for this long trip?

Buying the property you are renting [ 3 Answers ]

If you are renting a property, and before the lease is up you buy the property from the owner, when does the owner have to return to security deposit? (At closing or does he have 30 days)

Renting a home owned and buying another [ 4 Answers ]

We are in the process of buying a new home to be built in June 07 and will have to mortgage 160k. We currently own a 8 month old home (paid for in cash). However my husband wants to rent this home to pay for the mortgage on the other new home, I say sell, he says rent ! I'd rather sell and be...

Buying investment real estate and renting it to myself [ 5 Answers ]

Just wondering... Is it legal to buy a small house, put the property in an LLC, and rent it to myself under another LLC? I am self employed in sales. While a lot of people in my field work out of their house, I chose to rent a small office. Rather than keep paying rent and see the money go...

View more questions Search