Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bilyk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2006, 02:10 PM
    1988 Honda Civic LX Sputtering and missing
    In my case, I have a 1988 Honda that I paid $750.00 last year for for my son to drive and it has been a good car for that purpose until the recent situations arose. I like to tinker so I thought I would give this a shot before I think about spending $50 to $100/hour at a shop. I have already put $215.00 into it for this issue and to pass the emissions test. I have learned a lot about things to check just by reading the other questions, discussions and solutions. I just wish someone had something similar to mine.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Jul 30, 2006, 06:55 PM
    Mine is not an answer to the question, but just an obsevation. It seems like 90% of the car problem questions regard Hondas. Is it because they are not the greatest thing since sliced bread; or because so many have sold, causing them to be disproportionaly represented in the posts; or because Honda owners are more prone to ask questions on a web site. Inquiring minds want to know.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2006, 07:50 PM
    Most of the questions concern older model Hondas, which are susceptible to aging electrical problems. Additionally, search engines have led Honda owners, like me, to this site. I think Hondas are very good cars but not that much better than American vehicles these days from a reliability standpoint. They do tend to get better gas mileage, though.
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Jul 30, 2006, 10:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr D
    Mine is not an answer to the question, but just an obsevation. It seems like 90% of the car problem questions regard Hondas. Is it because they are not the greatest thing since sliced bread; or because so many have sold, causing them to be disproportionaly represented in the posts; or because Honda owners are more prone to ask questions on a web site. Inquiring minds want to know.
    I believe search engines are to blame.

I found this site through a search engine too and found a solution to my problem (with the main relay), so I thought I'd give something back through a FAQ. It seems others are finding it, but do not find it very useful.
    Bilyk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2006, 05:31 PM
    In my case, I have a 1988 Honda that I paid $750.00 last year for for my son to drive and it has been a good car for that purpose until the recent situations arose. I like to tinker so I thought I would give this a shot before I think about spending $50 to $100/hour at a shop. I have already put $215.00 into it for this issue and to pass the emissions test.

I have learned a lot about things to check just by reading the other questions, discussions and solutions. I just wish someone had something similar to mine.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2006, 07:33 PM
    With your brief description, it could be any number of things. You need to tell us what maintenance has already been performed and be more specific in your description. How many miles are on your vehicle?

Your problem is likely ignition related. Basic maintenance steps would involve replacing spark plugs, rotor, distributor cap, and spark plug wires. I would also check the timing and add a bottle of Regaine to clean the injectors and fuel system. If this does not solve the problem, then I would consider replacing the ICM and coil on a vehicle that old.
    timbost Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2011, 10:09 AM
    First check spark plug wires , if car missing at idle ,or in a pull .next distributor cap and rotor distriburtor coil for burns between shaft and coil below where the rotor button .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1988 Honda Accord LXi turns over but not starting [ 37 Answers ]

Hi there, I have a 5-speed 1988 Honda Accord LXi with pretty high miles, but has been running great for the 8 or so months I've owned it. However, yesterday when I was driving to town it stalled at the stop sign. This stall was kind of out of the blue, because I did not let out the clutch too fast...

1988 Honda Accord Horn Relay [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know whether a 1988 Honda Accord DX 2dr Manual transmission has a horn relay and if so, where is it located. My horn buttons on the steering wheel are working properly and the fuse is good. Can't find the horn relay.:confused: Thanks.

1988 Honda Civic [ 1 Answers ]

How do you time the ignition on a Honda. I can't find the timing marks,

1988 Honda Civic DX - Starts & Stops [ 3 Answers ]

I'm having problems getting my Civic to run consistently. It will run for about 3-4 miles and then stall out and won't start again until it cools off for a couple of hours. When I try to restart it, it sounds like it's going to start but it just won't go all the way. It goes through more coolant...

1988 Honda Civic Won't Start - Stumped [ 7 Answers ]

Would not start, received from sister her boyfriend thought it was fuel pump. Replaced fuel pump (he was half way done when I got the car). Still wouldn't start without ether and high RPMs. Started checking systems, found he had replace the brake power booster check valve with a fuel filter? I...

View more questions Search