Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ashok jain Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2009, 03:08 AM
    Establishing foreign property cost basis
    Both myself and wife are going to file US Tax for the first time as RESIDENT alien after getting our Green card for full year 2009 as joint.

We both are Resident aliens residing and working abroad and we jointly own a rental property which was purchased in 2007 and was put on rent in the same year i.e. prior to our taking the US residency. When do we need to establish and report the COST basis i.e. when we file our first return in 2009 or when we sell it in future? Do we have optional methods as under to establish its COST BASIS :
    1) The place where the property is located is a Tax free country and generally there is little or no paperwork maintained. I have a purchase agreement from the builder which shows a low price ( 500,000) whereas the FMV at the time of purchase was 750,000 and now it is 850,000. Initially I incurred middleman cash payment of 250,000 for which there is no paper evidence. So if I declare 750,000 as the cost basis, would it be considered reasonable and acceptable?
    2) Or, do I have an option to take current FMV which is 850,000 as Cost basis.
    3) Also for the purchase of this property I took bank and other Loan of 500,000. Can I add the interest paid during last 2 years i.e. 70,000 to the Cost BASIS ?
    I amtotally confused . Please give me a general guidance.

Check out some similar questions!

Appraisal as tax basis on inherited property [ 1 Answers ]

My mother passed away on Dec 7. Her house was appraised on January by a state certified appraiser at $135,000. It will sell on April 30 for $90,000. Can beneficiaries take a capital loss of $45000 plus expenses of the sale. More specifically, I guess I should ask if the basis on the house is...

Stepped-up basis on personal property. [ 1 Answers ]

My father just passed away and all of his property was in his trust, which is less than 1.5 mil. I understand his home now has a stepped-up basis to it's current fair market value. In a safe deposit box I found some gold kruggerands. Do these also get a stepped-up basis. I have no idea how...

Cost basis for 4 heirs of a house when 2 want to buy out other 2? [ 2 Answers ]

4 siblings inherited a house from father and got an independent appraisal for value RANGE of $185,000-$210,000 and a suggested listing price of $204,000 on day of death. Question 1: Which of these figures is the FAIR MARKET VALUE of the home that should be the stepped-up cost basis for the...

Basis in inherited property [ 1 Answers ]

I inherited rental real estate property from an uncle that past away 7 years ago. I just now received it because his will gave a life estate to his wife for the income from the property during her life. He owned the property as separate property. She has now passed away and I have received the...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.