Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nico123 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2009, 05:19 PM
    How to collect a Small Claim judgement
    Hi,

Can someone tell me how to collect on a judgement if the only information I have on the debtor is their name and possible a phone number? The B.C small claims court will not help or give me any information about the debtor. Can a collection agency help?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 17, 2009, 05:54 PM

They may, remember most small claims judgements never get paid, it is easy and one thing to get a judgement, something completely different to ever get your money.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2009, 06:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico123 View Post
    Hi,

Can someone tell me how to collect on a judgement if the only information I have on the debtor is their name and possible a phone number? The B.C small claims court will not help or give me any information about the debtor. Can a collection agency help?

How did you serve the person with papers - or how did the Court serve the papers - without an address?
    Justice Matters Posts: 210, Reputation: 27

Jan 17, 2009, 08:00 PM
    A collection agency may or may not be able to help. Some of them have effective means to locate debtors and some do not. In any event a collection agency will likely want a significant commission IF they are able to collect your debt.

Another option is to employ the services of a skip tracer or private investigator to locate either the debtor and/or his/her income or assets.

While it is not the court's function to seek out information on debtors you may want to check with the court to see if anyone else has sued your particular debtor before hiring a skip tracer or investigator. If there are other lawsuits with the court then you should be able to view the court file(s) for a nominal fee and check to see if there is any helpful information in said file(s).

If you are able to locate either the debtor and/or his/her income or assets then there are a variety of enforcement options available to you.

Keep in mind that when it comes to civil litigation a judgment is often only as good as the financial well-being of the debtor. If your judgment is against a person who rents, constantly moves, and goes from one minimum wage job to the next you may find it extremely difficult to enforce your judgment.

Jan 19, 2009, 06:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    How did you serve the person with papers - or how did the Court serve the papers - without an address?
    He moved and didn't tell the court his new address. The judgement was mailed and returned to sender.

Jan 19, 2009, 06:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Justice Matters View Post
    A collection agency may or may not be able to help. Some of them have effective means to locate debtors and some do not. In any event a collection agency will likely want a significant commission IF they are able to collect your debt.

Another option is to employ the services of a skip tracer or private investigator to locate either the debtor and/or his/her income or assets.

While it is not the court's function to seek out information on debtors you may want to check with the court to see if anyone else has sued your particular debtor before hiring a skip tracer or investigator. If there are other lawsuits with the court then you should be able to view the court file(s) for a nominal fee and check to see if there is any helpful information in said file(s).

If you are able to locate either the debtor and/or his/her income or assets then there are a variety of enforcement options available to you.

Keep in mind that when it comes to civil litigation a judgment is often only as good as the financial well-being of the debtor. If your judgment is against a person who rents, constantly moves, and goes from one minimum wage job to the next you may find it extremely difficult to enforce your judgment.
    Thanks for your reply! How can I check if anyone else is sueing the guy?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2009, 07:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico123 View Post
    Thanks for your reply! How can I check if anyone else is sueing the guy?

Go to the Court and run his name. All other cases will be listed.

In the meantime - without an address, how did you serve him?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2009, 08:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    In the meantime - without an address, how did you serve him?
    From what I read, the OP filed & had the defendant served at his old address. During the waiting period between filing and the trial, the defendant moved. OP was granted a judgment but can't find the defendant now because they never reported their new address.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Small claim won, how do I collect [ 2 Answers ]

I have a small claim that I filed and won against an ex roommate. He has since moved to Las Vegas and has not paid a dime of the $4,000 he owes. I live in Washington. Is there a way to collect the debt or to find him and have his wages garnished?

If I win a small claims judgement in Indiana, how do I collect? [ 2 Answers ]

I anticipate I will be suing a tenant for the cost of repairs for damages done to the carpets from un-authorized pets. If I win the judgement, how do I go about collecting in the state of Indiana? She left a forwarding address and has been given notice of my intent if she fails to pay for the...

How can I collect on a small claims judgement? [ 12 Answers ]

I won a judgement of about 3000 $ nine years ago here in New York city and was told by the court it is good for fifteen years... If need be, can I renew the judgement?. How I can collect from this deadbeat?. I have tried to locate him through peoplesearch but to no avail... Appreciate all...

View more questions Search