Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2006, 06:23 AM
    Ibuprofen (Prescription)
    Hello, I have found out that there is a prescription for ibuprofen. 600 mg for each tablet. Somebody said to me that you can take one pill and sometimes when they are feeling lots of pain they take two. What is the directions for the prescription form of ibuprofen with 600 mg pills.

Thank you in advance!

Joe
    rudi_in Posts: 251, Reputation: 45

Jul 30, 2006, 07:39 AM
    Thank you for posting your question to the Ask Me Help Desk.

Prescription ibuprofen actually comes in 400, 600, 800, or 1000 mg tablets.
    Over the counter ibuprofen such as advil or motrin are 200 mg doses.

The directions would be written by the doctor and can vary depending on your circumstances.

A common Rx might read like this:

Take one to two tablets by mouth every 6 hours with food or milk as needed for pain

Ibuprofen can be very harmful to the stomach lining which is why you should take it with food. Be careful, even though you can buy it over the counter in 200 mg doses doesn't make it automatically safe. It is still a drug. I know too many high school students that have to take other medications now because they were not responsible with the ibuprofen. They would gladly take four of them for every small discomfort they had. Again, be careful with them.

This is in no way meant to be a suggestion of treatment by me. Please see your doctor for recommended treatment.
    tamzid Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Sep 10, 2006, 06:14 AM
    I haven't seen motrin 1000mg in a retail or hospital setting, so not sure on that particular strength...
    But to also add to the answering... the max daily dosage on ibuprofen is 3200mg which comes out up a max of 800mg (4 tablets of the regular strength) every 6 hours - if the pain is that bad - but only under a doctor's recommendation
    PharmTEch Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2008, 08:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76
    Hello, I have found out that there is a prescription for ibuprofen. 600 mg for each tablet. Somebody said to me that you can take one pill and sometimes when they are feeling lots of pain they take two. What is the directions for the prescription form of ibuprofen with 600 mg pills.

Thank you in advance!

Joe
    Your dosing should be determined by your doctor. There are number of different strengths of ibuprofen and each is used for different problems in different people. Unless you have consulted with your doctor, I would not use anything other than what is recommended on the bottle's label.
    dragonass1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2010, 10:29 PM
    I have a perscription for 600MG Ibuprofin for severe cramping that accompanied very heavy bleeding. I used it for a short time, stopped, then took it again with my previous period. The last pill I took (yesterday afternoon) actually made my ears ring very loudly to the point where I had to call the advice nurse. She informed me that the MG was too high and that caused the ringing. She instructed me to purchase over the counter Motrin (200MG) and take that instead. High MG of perscription Ibuprofin is not recommended for use over a long period.
    Gulnara Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2011, 09:27 AM
    Long time use of Ibuprofin can cause intestinal ulcers, and they can bleed. So, yes, prescription strength would be too much, unless may be it is 400, but 200 sounds safer. I wonder also, if it can be given as an injection thus bypassing the digestive system and avoiding risk of ulcers altogether?
    MaryAS Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2012, 11:12 AM
    Just FYI, taking by injection doesn't avoid the adverse effects Ibuprofen can have on the digestive system. I, too, thought that at one time, but learned differently when I had to have an injection for a severe migraine. It's not the pill passing through the digestive tract that causes the problem, it's the medication in your system.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Disabled - Mental Illness - Need Prescription Asst.-SSDI Over Requirements [ 9 Answers ]

I am 47, disabled after working 27 years as a paralegal with a mental illness. My SSDI is 22,560, 1880/month. All programs out there to help assist me get medications I need for physical and mental illnesses are denying me as they say my salary is over the income elegibility. I have a very...

Prescription Diet Pills [ 2 Answers ]

I am 10 lbs overweight and just can't seem to lose this extra weight. It may not seem like a lot, but on me, it is. It's all in my buns and thighs. I walk 1.25 miles every day (weather permitting) and 2 to 3 days a week, I walk 2.5 miles. I have a one year old child so I also get exercise running...

Sister addicted to prescription pain pills, how do I save her kids [ 18 Answers ]

I was hoping that someone would be able to help me w/ getting some info... Is anyone familiar w/ the "marchment act"? My sister has had an opiate addiction for over 3 years now, my mother and I tried an intervention w/ her and was able to get her in to tx for detox. We now believe that she is using...

View more questions Search