Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deedee75 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2009, 01:19 PM
    Replacing carrier thermostat with honeywell
    I'm replacing my Carrier TSTATCCPQ501 thermostat with a Honeywell rth230b but I'm a little confused on the wiring. The wires I'm given are blue, white, yellow, green and red. With the Carrier, it's marked b and r for the red and blue, but with the Honeywell, it's Rh and Rc. I can't tell which is which.
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2009, 01:39 PM

Are you sure the blue wire is connected to a "B" terminal or is it on the "C"?

Jan 17, 2009, 02:19 PM
    It's in the C, the B is empty.
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2009, 04:56 PM

The red would connect to the "RC and RH" with a jumper wire between the two, the blue wire will not be used , just tape it off.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 17, 2009, 05:16 PM

I would rehook the blue to c on the honeywell, if it was indeed hooked to c on the carrier. Some honeywell thermostats require the blue to common for power from furnace. Otherwise the thermostat is running strictly off the batteries, and when the batteries die, the furnace won't work. If blue is attatched to c on thermostat and furnace, then thermostat will still operate when batteries die.

So, red to rc-rh(leave jumper in. or if there isn't one, use a short piece of thermostat wire to jumper rc-rh), white to w, green to g, yellow to y, and blue to c. Should be all set. Let us know how it works out, or if you have any further questions.

RH stands for are heat, and RC stands for are cool. If you don't have central air conditioning, then just hook the red to RH, and don't worry about adding a jumper between rh-rc. But if there is already a jumper there, just leave it in, it won't hurt a thing.

Jan 17, 2009, 05:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by acetc View Post
    The red would connect to the "RC and RH" with a jumper wire between the two, the blue wire will not be used , just tape it off.
    That works! Thanks a bunch! Ahh... I have heat once again!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing Lennox Thermostat with Honeywell Thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Lennox T90H110A137 Thermostat with the following terminal letters and wire colors: G - blue wire F - red wire C - green wire H - yellow wire V - white wire I want to install a Honeywell RTH6300B Thermostat. According to the RTH6300B Installation guide, it tells me to ignore wire...

Replacement of Carrier Heat Pump Thermostat with Honeywell TH6000 series thermostat. [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Carrier Series 50QT Electric heat pump that still uses the original non programmable thermostat. I am trying to replace it with Honeywell TH6000 series programmable thermostat. The wiring on the existing Thermostat as follows: O - White, I am thinking this is the Reversing Valve? Y...

Thermostat change from carrier to honeywell [ 3 Answers ]

I need to change a carrier (Y841A 1647 HH07AT215 class 2) thermostat to a honeywell (TH4210D - 2 heat/1cool heat pump). I can't find the wiring diagram for the carrier thermostat. I need to identify what terminal (and color wire) and function on the carrier corresponds to the honeywell.

Honeywell to Carrier Thermostat wiring [ 7 Answers ]

Honeywell TH4110D thermostat. Carrier 58PAV90 Furnace. Recently had to replace the carrier board, but failed to make note of the wiring for the thermostat and AC Terminal - Wire White - White Yellow - Blue Green - Green Rc/R - Red On the Carrier 58PAV090

How do I wire my new honeywell thermostat replacing the old tempstar thermostat? [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing my old thermostat. The old is a TEMPSTAR, the new is a Honeywell model # RTH7500. When I use the directions I end up with one left over wire. We called the Honeywell hotline, the rep. said to wire it like this: red to R, white to O, Yellow to Y, Blue to C, Green to G, Orange...

View more questions Search