Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adam_boles Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2009, 11:16 AM
    Using 403b to pay off debt.
    I'm wondering about the possibility of using my 403b to pay down credit and student loan debt. I'm 42, and am a tenured professor. I'm carrying too much debt to maintain, and I would like to pay off a majority of it now so I'm in a better position to save for the future. I *think* the penalties I would incur from withdrawing about 15% of my total investment are less than I'm paying in total interest rates on my debt across the board, although I'm not sure how to accurately calculate that. I live in Florida, and I'm not sure if there are any state-by-state restrictions on something like this. I have no other savings or investments to speak of, aside from a small emergency fund in a high-interest online savings account (which I've had to dip into several times to maintain my credit debt). Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
    FrankK Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Jan 19, 2009, 03:04 PM
    You'll pay a 10 percent penalty on any funds you remove from your 403b. You'll also have to pay state and federal income tax. Since you live in FL and don't pay state income tax, you would realize the amount you withdraw minus your marginal tax rate (28%) and the early withdrawl penalty (10%). So, basically, you lose 40 percent of what you take out... NOT great.

I definitely wouldn't take money out of a 403b to pay off a student loan. But I might consider it for a credit card if I was 100 percent certain: 1) there was no other way to get it paid off (extra job waiting tables?); and b) I knew I wouldn't run up the card again.

Here is a website that might help you Real Debt Help - Get out of debt with Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover Plan. with some strategies.

Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Use my 403b to purchase my first home [ 4 Answers ]

My wife and I hope to purchase our first home this coming fall but are not sure if we can use the 17K that we have in my 403 (b). My understanding is that we are allowed to use money saved in our Roth IRA (since we are first time home buyer; we each have $3500 in the Roth IRA). My wife also has...

Difference between a 401K and a 403B Account [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I are 72 and 77 years old and must cash or roll over 401K and 403B accounts that were employer managed and now being cancelled with current Financial Management Co. What is the difference between the 401K and the 403B accounts? What would be our best choice of a roll over investment? We...

403b Traditional IRA [ 2 Answers ]

My hospital has changed its 403b plan with ING to a new 403b with Lincoln. Can I rollover the old 403b plan to a tradictional ira or to Lincoln without paying any taxes or fees?

403b questions. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, almost 2 years ago I took a 5,000 dollar loan on my 403b, in which I have aprox 25,000. I took the loan due to financial hardship after a break up and move, credit debt etc. It helped me with some of my problems but I find that I have to have around 2,000 dollars very soon or I may be...

View more questions Search