Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jhoo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2004, 04:17 AM
    Relationships
    I feel that I resist leting anyone get close, that I'm better off as a loner, but I want someone to love me. This tendency could be residual effects from a strained Mother-Daughter relationship. What should I do to improve my relationships?
    elrp2 Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2004, 05:52 AM
    You just need to take risks now and again. It's hard, and will take time but if you don't take risks you'll never get anywhere - and that's not what you want.

You probably only feel better off as a loner because you can't see yourself in another situation.

It could be linked to the relationship between you and your mother, but you have to remember that relationships between families are totally different to those of friends and boyfriends. You know the saying... "friends are the family you choose".

Don't give up hope on finding someone, there's someone for everyone. Don't go looking for it, you never know what might happen.
    artistall Posts: 88, Reputation: 5

Oct 14, 2004, 12:37 PM
    PTS possible
    Your indication of a residual after effect from a strained Mother/Daughter relationship is surely a viable aspect to your introversion. Childhood orientations greatly influence future behaviors even into later adulthood. If the relationship was more than just strained and consisted of traumatic occurrences then it would follow that Post Trauma Syndrom might be affecting your judgement and perception of the world around you. Your tendency to avoid close relationships is merely a safety mechanism. It is understandable why a failed Parent/Child relationship would cause emotional dilemna. As we grow it is our parents that we first look up to for encouragement, acceptance, and self esteem. I feel you are still developing your own identity and must first let these emotional feelings run the course. Don't force yourself to change but allow yourself the time to move forward from where you are now. If being a loner for awhile is what it will take to restore your emotional well being then feel comfortable with it. You will be surprised at what you may discover about yourself in the interim. Soon you will emerge as a more secure person with the confidence that you know what you want in life and where you want to go. Lastly of course you must remember that once you move forward it will be very important for you to find closure in your past situation so you won't carry it into your future relationships. I wish you the best.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Relationships [ 7 Answers ]

My boyfriend won't take no for an answer and he keeps pressuring for sex. I gave it up once, but now I think that's all he wants. Please help! :'(

Relationships [ 12 Answers ]

:mad: :confused: well the thing is I like this guy and he like me to but we live in 2 diff states and plus I'm afraid to get hurt again cuzi have been hurt so much latley I'm really scared andi just so worried that if I date him then it gt happen again and I hate getting...

Relationships [ 3 Answers ]

Well.. I'm really confused. I've been with this guy for a 3 years now.. Since high school.. And I really love him.. We have a sexual relationship but in recent months we haven't had sex.. I didn't notice how long it had been until my boyfriend pin pointed it out to me. I love him so dearly.. ...

Relationships [ 5 Answers ]

There was this guy I was going out with and we broke up back in march! We went out for about 3months. I'm not the type of person to dwelll on someone but I don't know there was definitely something about this person and I can't put my finger on it... I don't know what to do were not friends...

Relationships [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Advice, I do not know what to do. See I had this boyfriend last year. And well we broke up over the summer and here it is in May and I still miss him. I know people says it takes time. But, how am I supposed to feel when I see his with these other girls. Sure I have dated other people...

View more questions Search