Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anotherbri Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2009, 07:53 AM
    How to report 1099-DIV?
    I received a 1099-DIV with, lets say, $70.00 in box 1a and box 1b.
    I still hold the stock which has a "paper loss".
    Do I still have to report the amount in box 1a.
    And what can be done with box 1b?

Thank you for any help with this matter. I always do my own taxes (the old school way), and this is just something new for me.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 17, 2009, 10:34 AM

You will report ordinary dividend on schedule B (Form 1040). Ordinary dividends are taxed as ordinary income, they're just added on to the rest of your income.
    Qualified dividends represent a payout of capital gains and are taxed as long-term capital gains.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I report refund from 1099-G? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I received a refund form 1099-G from CA state for Tax Year 2006. The form states that: "The refund amount may need to be reported on your Federal Income Tax Return if you claimed state income tax payments as an itemized deduction as Schedule A of your Federal Income Tax Return and received a...

F1 Scholarship Form 1099-MISC where to report? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am an international student, and last year I won a scholarship offered by a national newspaper. I received Form 1099-MISC from this newspaper, and the amount of my scholarship appears in Box 3 of this form. Also, I received Form 1098-T from an organization which gave me a scholarship...

1099-MISC how to report it. [ 2 Answers ]

I have 2 1099-MISC forms I need to enter but it keeps taking me to a self employment page and asks me what my business name and other things are. I don't not own a business I just did some contract work for another business. Also does the income on my 1099-MISC count toward my gross yearly income?

How to report income with no W2 and no 1099? [ 4 Answers ]

My wife made some income this year (about 5K) and we are unsure on how to report it. The business owner has not and will not issue W2 or 1099 forms but has written checks to her name which she has cashed out at his bank. How do we report this on our federal taxes without triggering an audit...

How to report income on 1099-Misc? [ 1 Answers ]

I got both W2 & 1099-Misc (Box 7. Nonemployee Compensation) from my employer. When I entered 1099-Misc income in TurboTax, it produced a Form 4137 (social security & medicare tax on unreported tip income). The income reported on 1099-Misc is not unreported tip income, but performance based bonus...

View more questions Search