Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ddeight Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2009, 09:39 PM
    Should defendant in divorce be present at hearing
    A friend has been served and the divorce hearing is soon. She is living in another state and has been for a year, not by choice. Should she come to the divorce hearing? She does not have a lawyer, and does not want the divorce. Can she do or say anything at the hearing?
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2009, 10:19 PM

She needs to read the complaint; it should specifiy a time by which she should make an answer, either admitting or denying the allegations in the complaint. In my jurisdiction, a defendant who doesn't answer the complaint waives his right to notice of all subsequent hearings. The plaintiff can go to court and say whatever he wants. And, in many instances, the judge will award whatever is asked. Remember, divorce is an adversary proceeding and the court is not going to look after you. Justice may be blind, but you must participate.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 16, 2009, 10:40 PM

If she can agree and live with the terms requested in the divorce filing, she does not have to appear.

When she does not appear the other sides just wins everything they asked for.

So what they are asking for, is it OK and agreeable,

Note you may be able to delay a divorce but not stop it from happening
    div2wice Posts: 103, Reputation: 1
    -

Jan 16, 2009, 10:55 PM

Yes if she agrees with everything, then she won't need to appear but if there are things she does not agree with, it would be in her best interest to not only appear, but to contest the divorce paperwork. This way she can give her side of the story to the judge. If she is served and does nothing, she will then forfeit her rights to a fair trial.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2009, 07:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ddeight View Post
    A friend has been served and the divorce hearing is soon. She is living in another state and has been for a year, not by choice. Should she come to the divorce hearing? She does not have a lawyer, and does not want the divorce. Can she do or say anything at the hearing?

What are the grounds for the divorce and are they correct. And what State.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Divorce hearing [ 1 Answers ]

I am scheduled for divorce hearing on October 14th, 2008. I am worrying my wife won't show up that day, am I going to get the divorce without her that day? Another thing I don't understand, is memorandum that I am supposed to right? What is this? Memo for what? Thanks

Failure to appear to divorce hearing [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I have a question about not showing up to my divorce hearing, I'm in GA and the hearing is in Tx But I do not have the funds right now to be there for it, what is the best way for me to let the court now that I want to be there but just cant.

Question about divorce hearing... HELP! [ 2 Answers ]

I am deathly afraid to talk in front of others, in fact I did not continue my college education because I am afraid of speaking in in front of others. My lawyer just informed me that I will have to take the stand at the divorce hearing in front of many people. I am very nervous and already losing...

View more questions Search