Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rudi_in Posts: 251, Reputation: 45

Jul 29, 2006, 12:26 PM
    Attributes of a Supervisor
    Hello Everyone!

I would like you to think of a particular boss, manager, supervisor, or any other workplace personnel that were/are above you that you felt/feel are very good.

What attributes/qualities does this person have that makes them good in your opinion?

What qualities would enable you to respect and want to work for your in-line supervisor?

On the flip side, you might also indicate the types of things that you feel constitute a poor supervisor.

Also, have any of you worked for a poor supervisor that, over time, became very good?

I am interested to hear some thoughts.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 29, 2006, 12:29 PM
    I spent a lot of time in retail management and I always thought the old saying "Lead by example" worked excellently.
    Basically never ask someone to do a job that you are not prepared to do yourself.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 29, 2006, 02:01 PM
    One of the worst I ever had was one who took all the credit for something I did and then publicly (within the office) blamed me for something wrong, which she did.
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

Jul 29, 2006, 02:11 PM
    Lead by example... nice idea if people stuck to it

A supervisor should.. be confident,decisive,well mannered,well tempered,well spoken,knowledgeable of the area or field he is in,communicates well with all,know his/her crew by 1st name and should ALWAYS be able to Separate WORK from his/her PERSONAL life IN or OUT OF WORK...

A poor supervisor only becomes better when a lot of people say something to their HR rep or to the people higher up then the supervisor..

Nothing gets done by 1 person.. it takes many to get things accomplished

Otherwise why would he/she want to change?

A POOR supervisor is one who:
    1.Shows a lack of compassion to his/her emloyees
    2.Shows disregards for the rules but expects others to follow them
    3.Show lack of interest in his/her position
    4.Shows blatant favortism to his/her personal friends

There's more I know

Same here goes for employees... but that's probably a different thread somewhere
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 29, 2006, 02:39 PM
    A crew can make a supervisor look good or look bad. It doesn't take long to whip em' in to shape, but when a really good one comes along we all took darn good care of him/her.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jul 29, 2006, 07:36 PM
    A good manager is someone who has a wide range of ways to relate to people and a solid sense of the big picture. They also need to be capable of drawing out the best in others, empowering them to be a part of a team all pulling together. Contagious enthusiasm, a very strong sense of fair play, and awareness of what to be involved with and what not helps too. I saw so much bad management in the graphics/printing fields, I went into business for myself. Ha ha! After a profitable stint in that, I switched and now head a non-profit organization largely run by dozens of volunteers who, I'll bet, have taught more about good management than any college level course ever could. They know I am paid help and yet I have their cooperation. We laugh a lot. I have learned how important it is to protect the good environment in which they work and as a result the good ones stay and the bad ones weed themselves out, for the most part. This allows me to say (and I say it often) that I have good people working with me. I coordinate who does what so we get the best possible total outcome without micro-managing and they let me, imagine that! I am more like a stage manager who occasionally proves she can still song & dance with the best of them than anything. They like calling me the boss, and I still look slightly chagrinned when they do since I don't always think of myself in those terms. I love my job and they follow suit, I'd like to think. We are the only volunteer organization of its kind in the county with a waiting list of volunteers who would like to work here - that says a lot to me. Just like real estate likes to say its location, location, location... I think management is all about environment, environment, environment.
    pennybot Posts: 57, Reputation: 18

Aug 12, 2006, 06:55 PM
    http://blinnspoon.freehostpro.com//Leader.htm
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2006, 09:49 PM
    A good boss has read and follows the One Minute Manager. The best book out there for managers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Problems with my supervisor... She used to be a good friend! [ 6 Answers ]

I need some advice please! Well I have been working with this girl for a year. We got along really really well. We even look the same, everyone mistakes us for each other and we like the same things. Anyway our boss left, and since she has the most experience she has been promoted as my...

Male attributes [ 8 Answers ]

Is there a way for someone to develop male attributes that were supposed to be passed on to him by his father. But since his father didn't raise him, he didn't acquire those traits. Thanks

View more questions Search