Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LaMargarite Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2006, 11:21 AM
    Electric Boxes
    These are some real basic questions, but I would prefer to do it right and avoid potential isssues later.

For installation of new light switches and additional outlets...

Are metal or plastic boxes better? Why?

The boxed have a 3/8" offset marker on them, but I am using 1/2" sheetrock. Does it matter if I use the marker and have the front edge of the box recessed 1/8" behind the face of sheetrock"

Boxes for low voltage are orange plastic with no back to the box. Is there any reason to use these boxes instead of regular blue plastic electric boxes that are one fifth the price?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2006, 12:49 PM
    If you are using Romex, then use plastic boxes.

Does not matter whether the box has a mark on it or not. The front edge of the box must be flush with the finish surface. Use a piece of scrap material to set the box exactly the dimension that brings it flush.

No,you cannot use the data low voltage rings for line voltage devices. All line voltage devices ans splices must be completely enclosed in an approved box with cover.
    LaMargarite Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2006, 01:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    If you are using Romex, then use plastic boxes.

Does not matter whether the box has a mark on it or not. The front edge of the box must be flush with the finish surface. Use a piece of scrap material to set the box exactly the dimension that brings it flush.

No,you cannot use the data low voltage rings for line voltage devices. All line voltage devices ans splices must be completely enclosed in an approved box with cover.
    Sorry for the miscommunication. I was contemplating using the orange boxes for low voltage (phone/data) and wanted to know if there is a good reason to use these boxes instead of the blue plastic for low voltage as the orange boxes are 5 times the price. Do they for example provide insulation for line noise?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2006, 02:25 PM
    Nothing plastic offers noise reduction. The twisted pairs of data cables helps eliminate some types of interference. Don't run data cables closer than 2 inches from power cables to keep away from the magnetic field of AC cables. Each should cross only at 90 degrees.

An enlosed box for data cable only wastes more money.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Daschunds and Litter Boxes [ 3 Answers ]

Hi - I'm the owner of a five-month old Daschund/Pomeranian mix. I have a few questions regarding issues we've had with his training so far. I've gotten so many opinions from so many people that now I'm doubting how good of a job I've done with him. My first issue is potty training. We...

Electric Force and Electric Field? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Can some one explain to me briefly what's the different between electric force and electric field? I am having trouble to make them clear to myself. Thanks you so much. Jack

Need help for Linux boxes. [ 1 Answers ]

How to setup and install the APC power management on Linux boxes? Please help... thks.

White boxes with red x's [ 1 Answers ]

I have MSN 8. When I receive e-mails, or pictures on the web-sites, all I get blank box with a small box and a red x in the upper left hand corner. Does anyone know how I can correct this? Going nuts! :-/

View more questions Search