Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2009, 09:06 AM
    Was gear down on the Hudson River Ditch?
    Was gear down on the Hudson River Ditch?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2009, 10:47 AM

I don't fly, but I suppose there would be no reason too. The pilot was an AF fighter jet pilot so I guess he was used to going fast.

He apparently just followed the river because it was large.

They said on the news that they are trained to land in the water with nose up and survival rates are good for water landings.

Rescue was in minutes in this case.
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2009, 10:56 AM

Landing gear wasn't down.

US Airways Flight 1549 comes down in Hudson River, New York | NowPublic News Coverage
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2009, 03:48 PM

I would think gear up, didn't know if some study was done showing otherwise.
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2009, 07:31 PM

I saw a report on TV that said gear up too just as we said.

It also stated that the engines are designed to fall off when the plane hits the water.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 16, 2009, 07:49 PM

Sully had flown gliders too, so had that experience. The gear goes up almost immediately after takeoff. And he said he was headed for either of two nearby airports, but aligned himself with the river along the way, just in case.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 16, 2009, 11:26 PM

At least for the smaller planes, the procedure for a water landing is gear up, it allows a better surface contace and less down drag from water friction on the wheel and wheel housing.

Other nose up as long as possible

Now this is from flying lessons years ago,
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2009, 05:55 PM
    Fr_chuck -you are so right on this one _ it is still taught to do this on a water landing_ gear up :: This will keep the nose from nose diveing down and a greater loss of life> they said he hit a flock of big birds< it don't take much to tear up a jet engine< I think the pilot (pic) done a marvous job :: Have a good day and god bless
    f.b.e.;;
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2009, 08:08 PM

FBE, I understand the Engines are mean to give before the wings, and would have a braking effect, the gear shearing off could be additional braking. Any test with the large Jets with gear down ditching?
    Sitkadiver Posts: 26, Reputation: 3

Jan 18, 2009, 12:35 AM

I'll have to keep checking back on this one. It turns out you may be on to a small mystery here. The aircraft manufacturer, Airbus, sets up the check list for each aircraft type and they do have the gear up in the event of a water landing.

There is also a ditch "button" in the airbus that seals the lower portion of the fuselage to allow the aircraft to float for a while longer after ditching in water

However, the according to MSNBC, the pilot only had 3 minutes from the bird strike until he landed in the river and the co-pilot did NOT complete the emergency landing checklist, which is designed to be implemented at 35,000 ft. MOST interestingly of all - the ditch button was not pressed prior to landing, there was not enough time. So, where ever the co-pilot was on the checklist determines whether the gear were up or down.

If I find out any more specifics, I'll be sure to post them.
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2009, 07:55 PM

Stratmando - hello there haven't talked to you lately .i hope youer doing ok and had a happy new:: sitkadiver: has prettywell answered the questions:: im not sure on the newer commercial jets <but the older onese not designed,for the engines to tear loose before the wings or the gear< the way i under stood the one eyed monster was that they had just took off so the gear would have already came up > i do know that we were taught in flight traing that for water ditching to always have gear up and i also know that { it doesn't take much to destroy a jet engine, something as small as a straight pin)stratmando < one time we went to england and i flew threw a hail storm and when we got totere we found that all six engines had to be changed before flying again <that was on the b-47 jet bomberthey have the black boxes so maybe we will know in a few weeks what they find out from them :: yousal have a good night and keep her between the clouds :: and god bless::
    f.b.e. eagle1 out
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2009, 08:08 AM

Thanks FBE, Hope all is well, Hey here's an Aerobatic Pilot who loses a wing and lands safely, AMAZING:
    Landing with One Wing - Miraculous Escape & Outstanding Airmanship - Video
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2009, 06:28 PM

STRATMANDO- The PIC -Was a USAF jet fighter pilot and a graude of the AIR FORCE ACCADAMY. HOW ABOUT THAT < I GOT IT ON MY DALIY NEWSLETTER FROM THE AFA
    AFA ( AIR FORCE ASSOC>) Have a great day and GOD BLESS :: F.B.E.
    zakwebb Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Jul 26, 2011, 11:56 AM
    Landing gear and flaps would be up on a water ditch unless not possible this is due to aerodynamics

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stopping ditch erosion [ 3 Answers ]

A ditch in my side yard has gotten wider during the past year because of fast drainage from a neighboring subdivision. The ditch was once about 4 feet deep and 3 feet wide; now it is about 5 feet deep and 5 feet wide. How do I restore about 2 feet of it and stop the rest of the ditch from...

How to burn a ditch [ 2 Answers ]

We live out in the country. The ditch in the front of our property is very deep. We are unable to cut it with a riding mower as we do the rest of the lawn. Using a push mower is very strenuous. Weed-whacking is almost as impossible. We have thought that the only way to maintain the ditch would...

Hudson bay fan light problems [ 1 Answers ]

I've got a hudson bay woodwind II remote ceiling fan. The light will not turn off when I push the button on the remote, it will only go dim. The only way the light will go completely off is by turning power to light off (wall switch), but this also turns the fan motor off. Dip switches are in same...

Hudson Bay Remote Won't turn off Ceiling Fan [ 1 Answers ]

I recently installed a 52" Hudson Bay Ceiling Fan But the remote will turn off and on the lights but not the ceiling fan,why?

Ditch him or not [ 1 Answers ]

Well I met a man 3 weeks ago on line. We emailed, talked on the phone. I have met him twice,for lunch, he calls me everyday 2-3 times to ask how I am and just to talk. Tells me to call whenever I feel like it. (I had been with a guy whom was an alcoholic, womanizer, always staring and talking of...

View more questions Search