Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    VXVhedpeVXV Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2009, 08:59 AM
    Working Out of State
    I live in Wisconsin, my company is based out of Wisconsin. It is an internet company. I plan on moving to California to finish schooling. I had hopes that they will let me work from home, while living in California. I was wondering what sort of tax implications could get held up in this process or possibility. State, Federal, etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I just want to be covered on all ends when I ask my employer and have as many point/counterpoints as I can in hopes to secure a job I can easily maintain while finishing my degree.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 16, 2009, 09:46 AM
    The key as to which state tax you pay rests with WHERE you are working.

If you work and live in Wisconsin, you pay Wisconsin state taxes.

If you work and live in California, you pay California state taxes.

You need to make sure your employer is aware of this, so that he can open a withholding account in California and start withholding California state income taxes (and probably state disability and unemployment taxes as well) from your salary.

Good luck!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 16, 2009, 11:09 AM

If you are present in a state, then you must report income earned during that period to that state.

You must also report your worldwide income for the year to your resident state.
    Read about taxes involving two or more states: Your U.S. Tax Return: Working or Living in Two or More states

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Working out of state [ 1 Answers ]

I am working out of state, I heard that I can write off 240 a day for 42 weeks out of the year is this true?

Working away from home out of state [ 9 Answers ]

Here it is, hope I explain this correctly: I work away from my home and family in Mesa, AZ. I work in San DIego, CA, live in a motorhome I bought. I have lot rent, motorhome payments and interest, and day to day expenses to eat, drive, etc. It is my understanding that any expenses while away...

Working out-of-state [ 2 Answers ]

I am a Texas resident and am consulting at a large California company. They want me to go Full-Time. Will I lose all my deductable expenses if I do this and still keep my primary residence in Texas? Thanks

OPT to H1b and changes in state where I was working [ 6 Answers ]

Hello all: I have a problem filling taxes. I was on Opt until Feb 2nd week and then transferred to H1b. In the mean time I was working in California till March and then moved over to NY. Here are the questions I have: 1) Should I be getting two W2s based on OPT and H1b. 2) Should there...

Working out of state [ 2 Answers ]

I am a resident of Georgia. I am employeed by an airlines in Orlando FL. I commute each week to work. Can I deduct hotel, meals and mileage expenses on my taxes and if so how much?

View more questions Search