Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2009, 09:54 PM
    What are the California State Science Standards for Evolution?
    Evolution
    7. The frequency of an allele in a gene pool of a population depends on many factors
    and may be stable or unstable over time.
    As a basis for understanding this concept:

a. Students know why natural selection acts on the phenotype rather than the genotype of an organism.
    b. Students know why alleles that are lethal in a homozygous individual may be
    carried in a heterozygote and thus maintained in a gene pool.
    c. Students know new mutations are constantly being generated in a gene pool.
    d. Students know variation within a species increases the likelihood that at least
    some members of a species will survive under changed environmental conditions.

GRADES NINE THROUGH TWELVE—BIOLOGY/LIFE SCIENCES
    e. Students know the conditions for Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium in a population
    and why these conditions are not likely to appear in nature.
    f. Students know how to solve the Hardy-Weinberg equation to predict the fre­
    quency of genotypes in a population, given the frequency of phenotypes.

8. Evolution is the result of genetic changes that occur in constantly changing environments. As a basis for understanding this concept:

a. Students know how natural selection determines the differential survival of
    groups of organisms.
    b. Students know a great diversity of species increases the chance that at least some organisms survive major changes in the environment.
    c. Students know the effects of genetic drift on the diversity of organisms in a population.
    d. Students know reproductive or geographic isolation affects speciation.
    e. Students know how to analyze fossil evidence with regard to biological diversity, episodic speciation, and mass extinction.
    f. Students know how to use comparative embryology, DNA or protein sequence
    comparisons, and other independent sources of data to create a branching dia­
    gram (cladogram) that shows probable evolutionary relationships.
    g. Students know how several independent molecular clocks, calibrated against each other and combined with evidence from the fossil record, can help to estimate
    how long ago various groups of organisms diverged evolutionarily from one
    another.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I be a convicted felon and become an LVN or RN in the state of California? [ 2 Answers ]

Can I be a convicted felon and become an LVN or RN in the state of California?

How to calculate SUI/SDI Tax for California state? [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone help me in calculating SUI/SDI Tax for California state? Thanks VJ

Nasty California State Employee [ 3 Answers ]

A co-worker was convicted of trying to sell a:confused: semi-auto handgun to an undercover ATF agent several years ago. (Felony) He was required to disclose this information to the state, but knowing the consequenses, failed to do so. I have watched this guy make so many lives miserable over the...

What are the laws in state of California [ 1 Answers ]

I found a video camera hidden in the bedroom, and in it I found video of my wife talking on a cell phone to her boyfriend,and they were discussing on how to set me up. She has left the house took all of her things, but forgot this video camera. But, now she wants to take our kids away. What can I...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.