Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    boogadee Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2009, 09:37 PM
    Preparing an ostrich egg for painting
    What is the best way to prepare an ostich egg for painting?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2009, 01:12 AM

Hi, boogadee!

I know just the right person here to answer your question, and that would be jrebel7! She hasn't been around as much as she used to be in recent months, so I will let her know about your question.

Thanks!

Jan 16, 2009, 12:35 PM
    Thank you very much! I need to know the best way to empty the egg first!

Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, boogadee!

I know just the right person here to answer your question, and that would be jrebel7! She hasn't been around as much as she used to be in recent months, so I will let her know about your question.

Thanks!
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2009, 01:30 AM

boogadee, I will be happy to share what information I have.

The Ostrich egg is the largest egg in the world. It can weigh up to five pounds. One Ostrich egg is equivalent to twenty-four chicken eggs. Unlike a chicken egg, an Ostrich egg is really tough. The shell is about 1/8th inch thick. It actually feels like fine ceramic and a good grade of Ostrich egg has an almost pearlized look to the finish. The eggs are made of calcium. The thick shell permits engraving which I have not yet attempted and the texture of the egg makes an interesting surface on which to paint. Each egg must be drained, (there is a soft place at the bottom of the egg and you can use a drimel tool to get a hole started to let egg drain out - a lot of people have a small tube that blasts water from water faucet into the hole and force egg out of shell this is referred to as the egg being blown out) then clean with bleach water to sanitize. The hole should not be larger than a nickel or so, perhaps smaller if you have a way of getting the egg completley cleaned out. It is good to put a solution of bleach and a bit of water in side the egg and let it stand for awhile. If you leave it too long, the shell becomes to soft. The length of time varies with size of egg but always use bleach/bleach water. An individual can purchase eggs already cleaned online and at some Ostrich farms in their area.
    I have used a drimel tool to cut the egg in the shape I desire. I have made jewelry boxes and one music box, of which was not my design. I have also made lamps and painted several eggs just to sit on stands. Although the lamps are really fun, my preference is to find a nicely shaped egg, and just paint on the egg to sit on a stand. I use acrylic paint. I do not glue my Ostrich Eggs to stands because people do enjoy picking them up and looking at them closely, feeling the weight of them and just having the experience of touching an Ostrich Egg. When I paint on Emu eggs, which are smaller and are generally a dark green naturally, as opposed to the crème color of the Ostrich Egg, I do like to use a three minute epoxy to glue them to a stand. They are lighter in weight and there is more of a danger of knocking them off and they break a little easier than an Ostrich egg. If you have an Ostrich egg that is older, it sometimes loses its natural shine and pearlized look. It has more of a flat look. I like to give those a coat of Gesso and then paint on them. Covered with a coat of Polycrylic, they shine like a freshly laid egg.

My instructor, doing shows all over, does such a great number of eggs that her husband built a place for her in their barn to cut the eggs and a fan pulls the dust out of the building. She uses a drill she purchased from her dentist. Her advice to us, her students, was to always work in a well ventilated area, wear a mask at all times while there is any danger of breathing in dust from working on the egg as the dust is such a fine dust, if it gets in your lungs, can set up just like cement. I use a drimel tool, wear a mask and always work outside while a light breeze blows.

I sure do hope this information is helpful to you. Please let us know if you have further questions. There are many other artists on the site that are amazingly talented.

One more thing to mention is that the bleach water also eats the membrane (inside lining) of the egg and it does need to be removed or any segment left after draining.
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2009, 02:19 AM

Thanks, Jan!

I knew that you would respond! I'm hoping that all is well with you and yours!

Jan 17, 2009, 10:22 AM
    Thank You so much!

Quote Originally Posted by jrebel7 View Post
    boogadee, I will be happy to share what information I have.

The Ostrich egg is the largest egg in the world. It can weigh up to five pounds. One Ostrich egg is equivalent to twenty-four chicken eggs. Unlike a chicken egg, an Ostrich egg is really tough. The shell is about 1/8th inch thick. It actually feels like fine ceramic and a good grade of Ostrich egg has an almost pearlized look to the finish. The eggs are made of calcium. The thick shell permits engraving which I have not yet attempted and the texture of the egg makes an interesting surface on which to paint. Each egg must be drained, (there is a soft place at the bottom of the egg and you can use a drimel tool to get a hole started to let egg drain out - a lot of people have a small tube that blasts water from water faucet into the hole and force egg out of shell this is referred to as the egg being blown out) then clean with bleach water to sanitize. The hole should not be larger than a nickel or so, perhaps smaller if you have a way of getting the egg completley cleaned out. It is good to put a solution of bleach and a bit of water in side the egg and let it stand for awhile. If you leave it too long, the shell becomes to soft. The length of time varies with size of egg but always use bleach/bleach water. An individual can purchase eggs already cleaned online and at some Ostrich farms in their area.
    I have used a drimel tool to cut the egg in the shape I desire. I have made jewelry boxes and one music box, of which was not my design. I have also made lamps and painted several eggs just to sit on stands. Although the lamps are really fun, my preference is to find a nicely shaped egg, and just paint on the egg to sit on a stand. I use acrylic paint. I do not glue my Ostrich Eggs to stands because people do enjoy picking them up and looking at them closely, feeling the weight of them and just having the experience of touching an Ostrich Egg. When I paint on Emu eggs, which are smaller and are generally a dark green naturally, as opposed to the crème color of the Ostrich Egg, I do like to use a three minute epoxy to glue them to a stand. They are lighter in weight and there is more of a danger of knocking them off and they break a little easier than an Ostrich egg. If you have an Ostrich egg that is older, it sometimes loses its natural shine and pearlized look. It has more of a flat look. I like to give those a coat of Gesso and then paint on them. Covered with a coat of Polycrylic, they shine like a freshly laid egg.

My instructor, doing shows all over, does such a great number of eggs that her husband built a place for her in their barn to cut the eggs and a fan pulls the dust out of the building. She uses a drill she purchased from her dentist. Her advice to us, her students, was to always work in a well ventilated area, wear a mask at all times while there is any danger of breathing in dust from working on the egg as the dust is such a fine dust, if it gets in your lungs, can set up just like cement. I use a drimel tool, wear a mask and always work outside while a light breeze blows.

I sure do hope this information is helpful to you. Please let us know if you have further questions. There are many other artists on the site that are amazingly talented.

One more thing to mention is that the bleach water also eats the membrane (inside lining) of the egg and it does need to be removed or any segment left after draining.
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2009, 11:02 AM

Boogadee, you are so welcome. I hope the information was helpful. Just want you to enjoy the experience. I was at a "Fine Art Show" so the eggs and vases I make were allowed only as accent pieces but I had taken one egg on a stand. For some reason, as we were taking down the display, Bo decided he would not only have two hands full of my drawings but would grab the egg also. I turned and saw him and just thought... oh no, what is he thinking. Yep, at that time, I saw it happen. The egg flies out of his hand, straight up in the air (he has matted and framed art work in both hand and thankfully didn't let them go as well) It was like everything moved in slow motion. LOL The egg flew up, his eyes looked panic stricken. It crashed on the sidewalk and smashed to smithereens. His face told me he didn't know what to say or do... he just looked so broken, like the egg. He said, 'Oh Baby, I am so sorry. So sorry!" I laughed and said, "Ah, it's just an egg. I can paint another one!" We cleaned up the mess and he apologized for weeks. But... it was an egg after all. Lots of hours goes into all art work but not worth hurt feelings.

I had worked on an Emu Egg music box for hours upon hours, it was completed except for the lining inside still needed a bit more work. I dropped it and popped a piece out right where I had the hinge. I just went in and got a piece of broken egg, glued it to the inside, redid lining to hide inside work, repainted the area... good as new... maybe even stronger. LOL

If you use drimel tool to carve, please just use a dust mask. Have Fun!
    dadushlomi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2010, 02:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by boogadee View Post
    what is the best way to prepare an ostich egg for painting?
    What kind of paint whell I use in case a light will be install inside the egg?
    Thank you Shlomi
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2010, 03:54 PM
    Hi, dadushlomi!

Are you meaning that you would like to install an electric light bulb inside of the egg, please?

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2010, 04:19 PM

Dadushlomi, I just typed a long informational note and where did it go?? Into oblivion, apparently. I apologize. I have to go out for a few minutes but when I return if you have not had more input, I will retype. So sorry it went away. BRB
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2010, 07:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dadushlomi View Post
    what kind of paint whell i use in case a light will be install inside the egg?
    Thank you Shlomi
    I use only acrylic paint. If you want a light to shine through, only use the paint as a wash. I often, using a dremel tool, cut out the top of the egg with a scalloped edge or as example, if painting flowers, do "cut aways" and leave area of the top shaped as leaves. On eggs that I paint more detail and paint is more opaque, I have painted the inside black, then painted over it with a glitter paint. When the lamp light is off, it shows black. When the light is on, it shows white from all the glitter (which is also just an acrylic craft paint) and gives off more light. If you have any broken pieces of egg, try a wash, then try a solid, shine a light through it. That way you can determine which effect you like most. I will be happy to post some images if you desire. Just let me know.

I purchase small one light bulb lamps at Hobby Lobby or craft stores when on sale, the drain hole in the bottom of the egg fits over the light bulb easily and sets nicely. I don't secure them as I like to change them out from time to time with different eggs.

I thought I had lost this post but all of a sudden it reappeared. LOL Anyway, as I said, if you want pics of some I have done, let me know. I will do them as time permits. Have fun! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I know what to charge for interior painting and drywall finishing and painting [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know what to charge per square foot to prime and to finish coat new drywall? I am bidding to paint interior walls and ceilings in a new house. One coat primer and one coat finish. Both coats will be sprayed and backrolled. What is an average rate to charge per foot for each coat?

Preparing T- Accounts [ 1 Answers ]

Use the information in Exercise 2-4 to prepare an August 31 trial balance for Pose-for-Pics. Open These T-accounts: Cash; Office Supplies; Prepaid Insurance; Photography Equipment; H. Paris, Capital; Photography Fees Earned; and Utilities Expense. Post the general journal entries to these...

Painting ostrich eggs [ 8 Answers ]

How should one prepare an ostrich egg for painting?

Preparing Cedar Shakes For Painting [ 1 Answers ]

I have cedar shingles/shakes for siding that I am preparing to re-paint. The existing paint job is old and pealing heavily in some spots. I already know that I will be replacing some of the shingles, as some are already gone or are in the process of falling off. I was thinking of pressure...

Help in Preparing 1040 with W7 [ 5 Answers ]

Hi Tax Expert, Am in H1 Visa,with my wife and child in H4 visa.They both do not have SSN or ITIN.So I need to apply W7 for them.Since they both are depandant on me,I want to add them as dependent while preparing 1040. But my problem is I could not prepare a tax return using any of the tax...

View more questions Search