Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Don Stewart Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2006, 05:50 PM
    Songwriting
    I couldn't tell if there were many songwriters on this forum or not. I write poetry and now mostly songs on my acoustic guitar, mostly rock style songs nothing heavy but occasionally folky too.

I was wondering if anyone is has any experience with Q Base or especially Pro Tools and if there is training a person can get or a short siminar offered somewhere to learn more about it before purchasing it or to get familiar with it first.

Thanks

Don
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Jul 29, 2006, 02:20 AM
    Hi Don,
    I myself am more of a composer, strictly instrumental stuff. A combination of classical and New Age with various World influences. I as well play the guitar. I believe there are books for learning Cubase, though I do not know off hand if courses are taught on it. The best place to inquire would probably be the keyboard/workstation department of any large music store.
    If you are using a PC, I might lean toward Cubase, as Pro Tools was originally designed for a Mac, and has a shorter history with PC's.
    Are you looking to do live recording, or use sample libraries such as VST instruments? I personally have tried Cubase, and can tell you, it's extremely complicated and has a heck of a learning curve. But if you do take the time to learn it, it is probably well worth it.
    I personally use Gigastudio and am very happy with it, but I do not record live. I use Cakewalk Pro Audio as my sequencer, and Sibelius for final music engraving, to print. Sony Soundforge for the final processing and any effects.
    As far as instrument libraries, Gigastudio is probably the best, easily accepting Akai libraries as well. Though if effects and processing power are very important to you, using lots of VST plug-ins, I would definitely go with Cubase. Pro Tools is an excellent piece of software, I just don't know a great deal about it.
    Please let me know if you have any other questions I could possibly help you with. Take care. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search