Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bnskinner Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2009, 06:45 PM
    Claiming Child Support Payments Without Decree?
    I made child support payments to my spouse in 2008 for 11 months before the divorce was finalized in December 2008. Is there anyway to claim or otherwise file these payments made to my spouse before the divorce decree?
    MLSNC Posts: 158, Reputation: 17

Jan 15, 2009, 07:43 PM

Child support payments are not deductible. You need to look at the rules for claiming a dependent to see if you can claim the children as dependents.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 15, 2009, 07:44 PM

With or without a decree, child support is not tax deductable.

And you can only claim the child according to the custody agreement rules.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 16, 2009, 08:52 AM
    If the divorce decree specifies who gets to claim the children, then the divorce decree (which is a LEGAL document) rules.

If nothing is said in the divorce decree, then the custodial parent nromally gets the exemptions UNLESS the non-custodial parent can prove to the IRS that he/she provided over HALF of the children's total support. That is a HARD case to make most of the time.

Your BEST course of action is to work with your ex to decide who would best benefit from claiming the children, then share the refund.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support payments [ 1 Answers ]

I was ordered to pay $50 a month for child support that I simply can not afford.if I pay $20 a month for now can I get introuble for not paying the whole $50.will they see that I'm trying to make an effort with what I have to work with?

Child Support Payments [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question on child support payments. My boyfriend had a son with his ex-wife in the state of Texas. She has now remarried and has not allowed him to see his son for the past several years, stating that his son was getting confused having two dads. And for the sake of his son's...

Child Support Defined within Divorce Decree [ 4 Answers ]

New York State - I am hubby's second marriage -when his first wife divorced him -he ignorantly waived getting representation. He claims he had no means -and it is water under the bridge at this point -however - on the matter of child support - It is defined in the agreement that every year,...

View more questions Search