Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2009, 11:58 AM
    What is your view about starting to draft for the military?
    "The military of the United States is currently a volunteer military, although it has an operational Selective Service System as a contingency. On July 1, 1973, President Richard Nixon created the All-Volunteer Force as a result of the American public's dissatisfaction with the draft." Volunteer military - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Comes now "Rep. Charles Rangel (D-N.Y.) likely will introduce his controversial legislation to reinstate the draft again this year, but he will wait until after the economic stimulus package is passed." http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/...009-01-14.html
    My view: the draft is involuntary servitude and the US should stay clear of it.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 15, 2009, 12:04 PM

I'm guessing President-Elect Obama has something else up his sleeve, and won't reinstitute the draft.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2009, 12:07 PM

Rangel perennially introduces this nonsense. Perhaps he is anticipating recruitment shortfalls after DADT is abolished. But then again... more likely the incoming administration is planning on reducing the size and manpower of the military anyway.
    TexasParent Posts: 378, Reputation: 73

Jan 24, 2009, 12:32 PM

On the surface it seems like if a Democrat introduces this type of legislation it's to create jobs for young people, to give them free skill training.

That's not such a bad idea, except for the cost.

I'm not even a Republican or a Conservative and I find this a bit fishy.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 24, 2009, 12:34 PM

One way to reduce unemployment, put all of the unemployed in the military
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 24, 2009, 01:17 PM

President Obama, during the campaign, mentioned that young people would benefit from doing two years of (compulsory?) public service as in the military, the Peace Corps, AmeriCorps VISTA, Habitat for Humanity, or some other approved program. Not only would our nation and other countries greatly benefit, but the young people would too. Grants for college or vocational training would be available upon completion of the two years of service.

One less obvious benefit would be that college/training would be delayed, allowing the young people to mature and to get their prioirities in order. Since not everyone is college material, these two years of service (plus possibly remedial education, learning another language well, experiencing another culture or U.S. region, etc.) would give young people an opportunity to figure out which would be a better fit for them, college or vocational training. I won't even mention the advantages resulting from the fact that marriage/living together would be delayed too.

(I hope President Obama asks me to be head of this program!)
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2009, 01:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    One way to reduce unemployment, put all of the unemployed in the military
    I am assuming Fr_Chuck is being facetious!
    xxariesxx Posts: 202, Reputation: 40

Jan 24, 2009, 01:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    President Obama, during the campaign, mentioned that young people would benefit from doing two years of (compulsory?) public service as in the military, the Peace Corps, AmeriCorps VISTA, Habitat for Humanity, or some other approved program. Not only would our nation and other countries greatly benefit, but the young people would too. Grants for college or vocational training would be available upon completion of the two years of service.

One less obvious benefit would be that college/training would be delayed, allowing the young people to mature and to get their prioirities in order. Since not everyone is college material, these two years of service (plus possibly remedial education, learning another language well, experiencing another culture or U.S. region, etc.) would give young people an opportunity to figure out which would be a better fit for them, college or vocational training. I won't even mention the advantages resulting from the fact that marriage/living together would be delayed too.

(I hope President Obama asks me to be head of this program!)
    I agree that this is a good idea - but only because it gives the person SEVERAL options of public service. The military is not the only choice, you could join the PeaceCorp or AmeriCorps, etc. I think 2 years is a good amount of time to dedicate for public service benefits like these, and the fact that there are many options to choose from would satisfy most people instead of feeling like they are forced to only do one thing that they are against. I'm sure that almost anyone could find some kind of public service program to do that would not have to include military service.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 24, 2009, 02:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by xxariesxx View Post
    I'm sure that almost anyone could find some kind of public service program to do that would not have to include military service.
    And I'm guessing the military would be a popular choice, especially if we are not at war. The term of service for the military could be three or four years, simply because there are so many benefits available to vets, benefits that wouldn't apply to any other public service opportunity.
    andrewc24301 Posts: 374, Reputation: 29

Jan 24, 2009, 03:40 PM
    As a man in draftable age (28) I don't really want to go to war. Especially a war that's impossible to win.

Just wish everyone could get along. All these oil wars, holy wars, political wars, and all other BS, was this why people were put on the planet? To kill each other?

I try not to bother anyone, and nobody really bothers me. But there is the possibility that some day, I will be required to go fight, and put my life on the line for something that I don't totally understand.

No thank you..
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 24, 2009, 03:59 PM

I am sorry, to be somewhat less than impressed, some of the same ideas thrown out a few years ago, and everyone was up in arms over the draft, complaining about the idea of a tax credit for health care not just providing free health care.
    Now the very close to the same ideas are being talked about it is loved.

With that said, I believe the some level of mandatory service would be great, including some extra programs for those wishing to drop out of high school, some required programs that they can not just quit.

Having to learn to work and committ to one job for two years is so foreign to many young people.

Jan 24, 2009, 04:04 PM

Well, I've been at my job or almost 4 years, so there is my record of commitment.
    codyman144 Posts: 544, Reputation: 31

Jan 24, 2009, 10:53 PM

Andrew you spend way too much time here :)

Jan 24, 2009, 11:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by codyman144 View Post
    Andrew you spend way too much time here :)
    Another example of my ongoing commitment. :D
    codyman144 Posts: 544, Reputation: 31

Jan 24, 2009, 11:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewc24301 View Post
    Another example of my ongoing commitment. :D
    Very committed indeed... ;)

BTY did you see this...

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/introd...on-307454.html
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Jan 25, 2009, 03:12 PM

On top of everything elese Obama wants, how much would these 2 year programs cost?
    Just how much red ink can this country stand before we suffer the same fate as the late USSR?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 25, 2009, 04:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by galveston View Post
    On top of everything elese Obama wants, how much would these 2 year programs cost?
    Just how much red ink can this country stand before we suffer the same fate as the late USSR??
    Maybe just maybe it wouldn't come out of your pocket. There are bigger pockets...

FDR's grandson recently told Obama to throw money at problems. His grandfather didn't spend enough to get the country mcving again.

Jan 25, 2009, 05:58 PM
    Just how much red ink can this country stand before we suffer the same fate as the late USSR??
    If things keep going at the rate they are, I'd say 5-15 years, and America will completley collapse. The foreighn nations will cash in their chips, and we will all wake up one morning in the United States of Communist China!

Don't matter how many guns you have either, they have more.
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Jan 27, 2009, 03:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Maybe just maybe it wouldn't come out of your pocket. There are bigger pockets....

FDR's grandson recently told Obama to throw money at problems. His grandfather didn't spend enough to get the country mcving again.
    What makes FDR's grandson such an impeachable source of economic advice?

It all comes out of everyone's pocket, one way or another. The question is how big can the national debt get before there is not enough tax revenue to pay the INTEREST on it?

The whole world is in economic trouble right now, and unless this administration moves VERY carfefully, we will be caught up in a global collapse. That may prove to be inevetable regardless of what Obama does. He MIGHT improve our chances with the right choices, or he could help fly the USA right into the ground by following bad advice.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 27, 2009, 03:45 PM
    What makes FDR's grandson such an impeachable source of economic advice?
    His grampa done tole him that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NBA draft [ 1 Answers ]

Okay say your in college right, and you want to go to the N.B.A. what are you suppose to do? Do you like get a agent? Or do you just try out? Anyone have a stable answer?

I got married to a military guy, and we got military housing [ 6 Answers ]

MY husband and I became eligible for base housing and took it, because the only time we would move in was that day. In my old apartment lease there is a military clause. However I got the apartment before I became married, and my husband is not on the lease. My landlord is saying that the military...

Return to the Draft? [ 39 Answers ]

Lt. Gen Douglas Lute, President Bush's new military adviser, said yesterday that because of frequent tours of duty for US soldiers in Iraq and Afghan, it is worth considering a return to the military draft. I saw some stats within the week that stated that a majority of soldiers in Iraq have...

Over draft [ 12 Answers ]

Hello my question Can the bank take money that is not in your account due to an order bieng sent to them from the courts. Then charge you that amount as over draft

Chimney draft [ 2 Answers ]

Having trouble with getting the draft (smoke) to UP the chimney. It seems to be coming down and into the house. This is not a new fireplace but just started this season.

View more questions Search