Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cj2009 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2009, 08:40 AM
    Zone is hot but thermostat is set to a low temperature
    Greetings all,

This seems like a great place to start! Here's my problem:

Just bought a house, which is heated via an oil furnace and hot water baseboard heaters. There are 3 zones, whereby 2 are controlled via Noma thermostats. So far, so good (no problems with zones 2 and 3, which are the 1st and 2nd floors). In the basement however (zone 1), I replaced the old thermostat with a new Noma 5+1 thermostat (same as the others) because all of this time, the basement has always been hotter than the rest of the house, regardless of how far to the left I was turning the thermostat dial. Funny thing is, even now with the new thermostat, no matter what I set the temperature to (i.e. 10 degrees celsius), the basement is still hot and the baseboard heaters are hot to the touch when I go down there. It seems that I am burning a lot of oil so far this winter, which is odd because we keep our house between 15-17 C. I don't care about heating the basement and seemingly the thermostat control is not the issue. I read a few postings on this site and I'm leaning towards replacing the one zone valve (perhaps it is stuck)? Has anyone encountered this issue? Should I try to fix the zone valve first or given that this system is somewhat an older system (10-20 years is my guess), just replace the whole valve?
    cj2009 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2009, 08:55 AM

Oops, fogot the following details:

- Basement is at 21 degrees, versus the 10 degrees on the new thermostat. Rest of the house is set to 15-17 degrees and is OK.
    - when I replaced the thermostat, I tested the communication to ensure that it was working, whereby when I cranked the temp. to 25 degrees, the boiler started and "heat" flashed on the screen of the thermostat.
    - When I touch all 3 pipes coming from the boiler (with the zone valves), they are all hot to touch..
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 15, 2009, 09:03 AM
    It is possible the basement zone valve is stuck open this does happen but not that often.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GE Spectra cooking zone temperature [ 1 Answers ]

My front left cooking zone of my GE Spectra electric range does not seem to be adjustable. Is there anyway I can repair so that I'm able to adjust the temperature using the temperature setting knob?:confused::confused:

Replacement Thermostat Zone Problems [ 1 Answers ]

I just replaced one of the two thermostats in my house. (2 Zone) Here are the details: 2 zone forced air heating and AC Oil 3 wires, were not properly labeled Green, White, and Red I have them in the G, W, and RC connections. Now, when the old zone kicks in both zones heat. When the...

Thermostat 2 zone wiring [ 2 Answers ]

During winter, heat worked great for both zones, one up and one down. When calling for AC now, only down zones works (compressor and fan kick on and AC flows). While the down zones works, it does pump some AC to upper floors, but not a strong air flow, so it does cool, just very slow... The up...

Programming 3 zone thermostat [ 3 Answers ]

I have a multi level home, and it's set up in 3 zones so I can set my thermostat for each zone, up to 4 periods per day, for the whole week(HVAC tech says they now claim this method really doesn't save $). We are comfy at 68 for heat, so if other zones aren't being used for a period, what is...

View more questions Search