Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2009, 08:23 AM
    Dog acting weird, not eating like he normally does
    I've owned my dog for over a month now. In the very beginning he wouldn't eat out of his bowl.. We had to hand feed him twice because of it. Come to find out he didn't like his reflection in his bowl ( I don't like plastic or ceramic it holds bacteria) To remedy that we put a face cloth in the bottom of his bowl and he would eat out of it. The face cloth gets washed every second day as I don't want it getting infested with bacteria too. So we know its clean. He also gets the same face cloth every time. Up until yesterday he was eating normally and drinking normally. He is still drinking the same amount he normally does but he is bairley eating. If you take some out of his bowl and give it to him a couple pieces at a time he will eat or if you take a treat in the shape of a sausage and cut it up into TINY pieces and mix it with his food he would eat it until he has eaten every piece of treat (and the dog food that gets in his mouth along with it LOL) but other than that he completely ignores it.
    His previous owner used to switch dog food brands constantly (he owned five dogs and some of them were picky) and he told us that occasionally he would buy the beniful soft dog food and mix it with his food (the one that looks like real people food, with rice and stuff in it) but not often.
    He Ate a edible chewie bone last night after holding on to it in his mouth for almost an hour (he usually chomps them down right away since he only gets one a week) I have checked his teeth, none are cracked or discolored, his gums are a normal color (I think) its hard to tell somewhat because his gums are naturally black and pink (spotted ) he has good elasticity to his skin and is not losing any weight (he is steady at 34.5 pounds)
    At the same time though he seems a bit moody. He is not fixed and is Six years old. He will be seven in June.
    This morning he ate a few mouthfuls but that is it. He gets one cup of food in the morning and one at night.
    His bowls are not constricted or blocked in any way I don't think because he is pooping normally and does not seem to strain or have any difficulties.
    I did have to clean out his ears the other day with Avena Sativa which is a Dermatologist recommended all natural ear cleaner for dogs and cats with Natural Colloidal Oat Extract in it (its a vet recommended product) because he had quite the buildup of wax in his ears (but no mites we got him checked at the vet 2 weeks ago) He was mad at me for doing it I think and was a bit moody. Could this be why he wasn't eating? Because he was mad at me? Or could it be something else. I know he didn't eat anything he shouldn't because our house is Dog and chinchilla proofed (as I own four chins too) He stays out of their room because he knows he is not allowed in there unless one of us is there too. And when he goes outside in the yard I am always with him because even though he is offleash in the fenced in area he was never offleash in his life before we got him and I worry about him believeing he could jump the fence for some silly reason though I don't think he would now.
    There is nothing in the back yard that could hurt him because he dog proofed it wayyy before we got him (we also have a golden retriever in the house too ) we live in a converted garage at my bf's parents house..
    Does anyone know what I can do to get him to eat
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2009, 08:59 AM

Dogs only not eat when there is something wrong. Dogs normally will eat until they throw up and then go back to eat some more. Is he drinking liquids? I think a trip to the vet is in order.
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2009, 09:54 AM

honestly I've never seen a dog that would eat until they were sick and then eat more. Every dog I've ever owned has been a picker (meaning a dog that eats randomly through the day and never gorges on food.) even our dog in the other house. We fill her bowl and keep it full and she just eats until she's full and leaves the rest. As I said in my post he is Drinking normally like he usually does.

He ate most all of his food since I wrote the post. There is only a little handful left in his bowl. One thing I was thinking... He eats oven baked hypo allergenic dog food. Lamb and rice flavor. And he used to eat genaric dog food.( you know the colored ones with bone shapes and triangles and stuff, kindof like Kibbles and Bits.. Could it be he just doesn't like it or since the previous owner changed foods once every one to two months that he gets picky and doesn't want it any more?

He is on hypo allergenic food because we thought we would try and see if his foot licking problem was an allergy to food. He got tests done and he is not allergic to anything at all, they think his foot licking problem was caused by stress when he was a pup or caused by being taken from his mother too soon. ( he wa 6 months old when his previous owner got him) so we don't know what his life was like in those first few months
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2009, 10:10 AM

Does he have a lot of gas? Lamb and rice has given every dog I have been around gas. And I mean really bad gas. Could be that if he has a sensitive stomach and is getting gas is causing him pain.
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2009, 10:13 AM

Well he did gas us out of the room twice yesterday within an hour or so. But other than that he doesn't have a lot of gas.. wait... burping is gas right... he BURPS quite often
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 15, 2009, 11:20 AM

You've only had him for a month. He could be still adjusting to his new diet. Remember, if he was previously getting store brand foods, they contain a lot of filler. He will likely eat less of the healthier food, because it will fill him up faster, because he is getting more nutritional value. He could also be still adjusting to his new surroundings, and you and your boyfriend. It's not like he isn't eating at all, and you said it's only been since yesterday that he's been picky about it.

I've never had a dog either that has gorged on their food, nor have I had a dog that has eaten until he threw it up. My dog only eats once a day since I switched to a more healthy food, and is left down for her also. Sometimes she will graze a little during the day, but at suppertime she just automatically goes to have her daily meal. She got a clean bill of health at the vet last month (except for a thyroid problem that is unrelated) Every so often, she will have mood swings and she won't eat for a day. This is when I will boil up a chicken breast and put a little in with her food, and she will eat it then. Sometimes I will just add a splash of low sodium chicken broth to her food.

If he continues to act like this, I would take her to the vet, but right now I would just keep a good eye on her. It could be just a "mood." Dogs have them too!

I'm curious about the amount of exercise he is getting. Are you taking him for a good long walk everyday? That is necessary. If he is getting the right kind of exercise, then that will increase his appetite. He could be bored and also having some separation anxiety from his previous owner. Dogs can also get the winter blues, and that is another reason they may not want to eat. I know when my dog isn't interested in her food, it is time for her to get out for her walk. So I would increase his exercise, and just see if that helps!

It will also decrease his health problems if you get him neutered. It will help with behavioural problems too.

Good luck!
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2009, 12:07 PM

Yes we have only had him for a month. Though he (the dog) has known us for a year. I never thought about the amount of filler in the genaric brands. That very well could be why he is not eating as much.
    He gets an hour or more of on leash walking and up to two hours a day offleash in the back yard (its fenced in and HUGE, plus its soon to be the whole property that is fenced in instead of just the backyard) where he came from he got a short 10 to 15 minute walk once every few days and besides that he was either in the house or chained to his dog house. So he gets tons more exercise now then he ever did. I can't see getting him fixed though. Every vet I have been to recommends that at his age its not that good of an idea to get them fixed. He has NEver had any health problems in his whole life. Well except for when we first got him he was outside and stuck his face in the bushes and poked his eye. We had to get drops for that.
    I suppose I should give some background breed information so you can understand him a bit better as he is not like other dogs...

Carolina Dogs:
    The Carolina dog is a pariah dog. ("Pariah dog" is a general name in India for the half-reclaimed dogs which swarm in every village, owned by no one in particular, but ready to accompany any individual on a hunting expedition.) The Carolina Dog is one of the very few breeds existing today that is truly a primitive dog, a result of natural selection for survival in nature, and not of selective breeding. Wild specimens are still known, so this is not a completely domesticated canine. This dog that has survived as a free living animal in the swamps, savannahs, and forests of South Carolina and Georgia for thousands of years, has also proven to be highly adaptable and amenable to domestication, and an excellent pet.
    The Carolina Dog could almost pass for a larger size Dingo.
    HISTORY
    Carolina Dogs were Indian Dogs and were the First Domesticated Dog of the Americas. The Carolina Dog comes out of the American Deep South and is thought to be a direct descendant of the ancient pariah dogs that accompanied Asians across the Bering Straits land bridge 8,000 years ago. A number of such pariah types exist in the USA. The Carolina Dog was discovered and named by Dr. I. Lehr Brisbin, Jr. a biology professor at the University of Georgia, at the United States Department of Energy's Savannah River site in South Carolina. This is a remote area from which the public has been excluded, and wild dogs that have lived there for centuries have had little opportunity to breed with domestic dogs. Brisbin noted that these dogs were almost identical in looks to the Dingo. Other scientists observed that the Carolina's bone structure was very similar to the remains of the neolithic dog bones from Native American burial sites thousands of years old.
    These dogs are naturally healthy. Hip dysphasia, eye, ear and skin problems prevalent in many other breeds are thankfully lacking in this breed at this point in time.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 15, 2009, 12:47 PM

Have you ever tried giving him his meal outside? Maybe eating in the outdoors would make him feel more comfortable in his new environment. Maybe you could even try and split his food up into smaller portions, and hide it in places in your backyard so he can use his hunting instincts.

I extremely surprised that your vet would tell you that 6 yrs. Old is too old to be neutered! I've never heard such nonsense! What were the reasons these vets gave for offering you this advice? I just did some research myself, and also called my vet, and they thought this was ridiculous. I asked if it perhaps had something to do with the specific breed and/or age, and they said absolutely not. The recovery period could possibly be a little longer, but otherwise if the dog is healthy, there is no reason for him not to be altered. I had a rescue dog that was 11 yrs. Old when we got him neutered. The benefits far outweigh the risks.
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2009, 06:26 AM

I would try that except for right now his food would get all wet and soggy. LOL.. if its not snow, its rain... She said that since he had no health problems at his age we should just leave him the way he is. Is what she said when I called her back about it.
    Plus. In my own opinion I don't believe in fixing my dog . I've never been one for altering a dog . How would human males feel if we decided to cut their family jewls out. I've had dogs that I HAD to get fixed (due to breed, etc) and I found it altered their personality too. And sorry but rebel is one of the best behaved dogs and he has no vices. I don't want him to change. And please don't go on about how altering your animal is the right thing to do and how it must be done, we live on a privately owned road, only four houses around us for quite a little while, no females around, and he is never outside alone he doesn't rush for the door when its opened nothing. With him I don't worry about him getting loose.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 19, 2009, 09:04 AM

Binx, I realize that you are being a responsible pet owner when it comes to making sure your dog doesn't breed with another dog, but the benefits of neutering aren't only to stop them from reproducing, it's also a lot healthier for the dog. Neutering cuts down the chance of the dog getting cancer by a very large percent.

I'm not going to lecture you, because you aren't keeping your dog intact in order to breed him, but I can get you some info on the benefits of neutering if you're interested in it.

As for the eating, as Starby said, a lot of foods contain filler which means that the dog may not eat as much because he feels full after very little. If you decide to switch foods remember to do it slowly so your dog won't have tummy troubles.

It could also be that your dog just isn't feeling well. They get sick just like us. Just keep an eye out and if you notice he isn't drinking or pooing then get him to a vet. As long as he's eating something, drinking regularly and having bowl movements, and isn't in pain, I think he'll be okay. :)
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Jan 19, 2009, 03:05 PM

It sounds kind of like when one of my dogs got a tummy virus recently. She lost most of her appetite for a few days so we had her brought to the vet. With a little medicine and some presribed can food and she recovering fairly quickly.
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2009, 11:30 AM

He is back to normal. I didn't have the net for a little while so I couldn't get on to say anything. We've changed his food to a different brand and flavor. He doesn't burp all the time any more and he is back to eating like he normally does. I do believe the lamb and rice was giving him PAINFUL gas. Talked to the woman at the specialty pet food store here and she said we are the first people to ever tell her that lamb and rice gave our dog bad gas... though since he is a carolina dog his tummy might not be able to handle the same foods as regular dog breeds
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 27, 2009, 11:45 AM

I'm glad he's right back to normal! Good to hear. That's 2 for 2 today. That's sure better than the wkd. so I hope it keeps going this way, and we keep getting good news instead of bad!
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2009, 12:13 PM

I agree with you there good thing he is back to normal. I had even called my vet. She just called me back actually. She called the breeder for carolina dogs in N carolina and the breeder said she had tried lamb and rice before and it gave all her dogs severe gas. She doesn't use it any more either. So we agree with not giving it to him ever again LOL...
    He also got his nails trimmed for the first time since we got him today. I was worried about doing it because the previous owner said he didn't like it when you cut his nails or touched his feet. Mind you he used to lick his paws raw before we got him but he doesn't do it any more. He sat so CALMLY on the couch with his little feeties hanging past the couch and let me trim them gently little by little until they were down to the right length. Did learn one thing though...

I learned that you never take a shower and leave the door open when you own a swamp dog breed they join you when your back is turned. I ended up having to get out, throw a bathing suit on and bathe him too because he wouldn't get out until I did. At least he is clean now haha... he must of wanted the puppy smell off him (my boyfriends brother came down from ontario to buy a valley bull puppy for him, his wife and their children as their last dog passed away due to old age)
    KayGates Posts: 95, Reputation: 5

Jan 27, 2009, 06:40 PM

I just watched a dog whisperer about a Newfoundland that was really picky and wouldn't eat anything but treats. Caesar made him work before his food, or took him for a walk. Are you bringing the food to him? Or does he have a specific spot?
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2009, 06:38 AM

He has a specific spot that he eats at if you move his bowls he won't eat. We learned that the first few days we had him. He is a bit spoiled though I think. My boyfriends uncle gave him a HUGE bed to sleep on. Its so big you can trip over it if you walk on that side of the room. And he sleeps on my bed too haha. Was it a show on TV? I love watching stuff like that
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 28, 2009, 11:47 AM

Do you have the National Geo channel? If you do, the Dog Whisperer is on 7 days a week. It's on at 3pm here. (also in the morn, I think around 8 or 9) I think you're 2 hrs. ahead of us, so I'm thinking it would be on at five.

Watch this link. It kind of explains the basics, and is a really good one. You can also Google or Youtube Cesar Millan, and find lots more. Some of the TV shows are on there too. This link isn't the Dog Whisperer TV show, this is one of his training video's

Cesar Millan - People Training For Dogs

(it's about 45 minutes long, so be prepared, lol)
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2009, 11:57 AM

Sadly I don't have the channel BUTTT a friend of mine does hehehe I can bother him and get some of them taped for me. Awesome. I'll enjoy the training video thanks hun
    KayGates Posts: 95, Reputation: 5

Jan 28, 2009, 11:32 PM

Sounds like he may be a bit spoiled. How is he eating now?
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2009, 07:08 AM

He is eating just great now right back to normal. I even managed to remove the facecloth and he is FINALLY eating out of the bowl without it. I'm glad I don't have to worry about cleaning it ALL the time.
    I do think it was the food its self. He doesn't even burp all the time like he did before. He is a little spoiled by everyone. I'm just glad people don't give him treats all the time(besides the boyfriend and I) he is only allowed to get one to two treats a day.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cat acting weird [ 2 Answers ]

Help, my cat has recently started acting different. It started the other night. One minute she was fine, and then all of the sudden she kinda "freaked out" and started running around crazy and now she is hiding under covers. She acts like she has fleas or something, but the vet said she does not....

Dog acting weird [ 3 Answers ]

My dog started walking sideways and rolling his eyes in his head... What do u think might of happened to him?

My cat is acting weird [ 2 Answers ]

hello =] Well, I have a 3 year old cat who has been acting verrry strange lately. For about a week she's been sleeping almost non-stop, she barely eats or uses the litter box. She won't even open her eyes when I go up to her while she's on my moms bed. We don't know what to do.. any advice?

TV acting weird! [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Samsung 27 in TV that is about 4.5 yrs old. Recently the screen has been fading to black (w/ sound still on) right after I turn it on and a minute or two later, the picture comes back and it's fine. If I turn it off for a little while and turn it back on the same thing happens. I know you...

View more questions Search