Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    woodymach Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2009, 05:37 AM
    Bryant furnace inducer motor blower keeps failing
    I have a Bryant Plus 90 high efficiency furnace, Model 398A, about 14 years old. I am now on my third inducer motor assembly. The plastic blowers on the first two disintergrated. Does anyone have any idea as to why and what can be done to prevent another failure? Besides the inconvenience of no heat, they charge over $300 for a new motor assembly which seems excessive for this unit.
    dac122 Posts: 463, Reputation: 17

Jan 15, 2009, 07:01 AM

By disintegrated, what do you mean, and how long are you getting between failures?

Jan 15, 2009, 07:24 AM
    The plastic blower broke into many pieces. The first (original) unit lasted 10 years, the second 4 years. I am now on my third unit. The first one was replaces by a service man, I did the second one myself. Checked the inducer housing and cleaned all the parts from it. Could not see where it may have bound up or anything. The blowers just seem to break up and when they start they just explode because of centrifical force.
    cj-moham Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2009, 04:19 PM
    I can understand your pain. I have about 6 year old Bryan 383K and yesterday the Inducer Motor gave up. I did not research enough because it has been cold, and we ended up with no heat all night. It cost me almost $600, that include parts and service ($497) and $89 for service visit :mad:. The service man took old Fan, otherwise I would have kept it, as now I know the original must be a good one... The new one looks kind of weak, and like you said may give up soon... now I am afraid. But changing the Inducer is very simple... I watched him, and in 30-40 minutes he was done... :

Jan 19, 2009, 04:59 PM

I did replace the last one myself after watching the service man do the first one and paying almost $500 - part plus call. I don't mind paying the service call but I was able to get my last inducer assembly for $285 wholesale which still seels like a rip off for this unit.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 19, 2009, 05:10 PM

Same problem every time? Wheel came apart? Never a burnt motor? I would check gas pressures(overfiring). If unit is overfiring, it may cause the wheel to overheat, causing it to loose strength.

Also, some designs were just not very good. Usually they fix the problem at factory, and change the design of the components so that they will last longer than original ones. Take heil/tempstar for instance. Models that came out ten to fifteen years ago had problems with draft inducer motors, bearing, and wheels all the time. I know people that have to replace the inducer on these every two to three years. It also has a lot to do with the way the condensate drainage is achieved. If I were you, I would just keep an extra blower on hand. They also make repair kits for the wheel assembly(much cheaper than replacing motor and all).

Jan 19, 2009, 06:27 PM
    Thanks for the input. I guess it makes sense. I will keep a copy of your reply for the next time I need service and have the pressure checked.

Also wrote the factory and am awaiting an answer although I will not hold my breath. Not much confidence in them.
    jeffsorr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2009, 12:01 PM

I've had the same issue. The original owners replaced the inducer motor after 10 years; 6 years later the blower wheel failed (several vanes broke off which caused imbalance/banging), and just this week (4 years into the newest wheel) it failed as well, cracking right down the middle. Fortunately I'm able to purchase replacement wheels (without replacing the entire motor) for $80, but it's a lot of money for a piece of plastic. I'll also note to have pressure checked during the next routine service.
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 22, 2009, 06:40 PM

Checking pressures is always a good idea. However, these parts do fail regardless. Its kind of like anything mechanical. It may outlast the furnace, or it may fail in a couple of years. I can't count on my fingers and toes plus ten peoples fingers and toes how many draft inducers I've replaced(with no reason except, it just wore out). Some last longer than others. Think of it as a light bulb(a very expensive light bulb). You know its going to burn out, you just hope to get as many years out of it as you can. Draft inducers, and blower motors are very common failures in furnaces, just the nature of the beast.

Jan 23, 2009, 09:45 AM

Hi mygirlsdad. I understand that mechanical things do fail. What I can't accept is that the manufacturer does nothing to improve on the quality of his product. From what I have been able to determine, my inducer motor is used on Bryant, Carryer, and Payne furnaces. If as you indicate, you have replaced many of these inducers, I would hope that there is feedback to the manufacturer indicatiing the high rate of failure. I would think that a die cast impeller would not be much more expensive than the plastic version. But then, this might reduce the number of replacement units sold and I am sure the manufacturer would not like that. Anyway, thanks for your inputs. This is the first time I have used forum and I think it is a great resource for information.
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 23, 2009, 04:18 PM

You have found a great forum here. I havevnt found anything as helpful. I actually found this while looking for answers to a gas fireplace problem. Got addicted right away. Not only can you try to help folks, but you can get help also.

We all have our theory as to why certain munufactures don't upgrade parts(like you said, they want to sell parts). I think they tend to come out with a whole new furnace design after so many years, and then all of their effort is put toward that new design, and they just kind of forget about ugrading parts for the older furnace. Just a thought, we will probably never know.

Hope new inducer last for a long time.. Keep in mind that a furnace usually only has an average life span of fifteen to twenty years.
    greghvacguy Posts: 45, Reputation: 2

Jan 23, 2009, 09:30 PM

Inducer are not made by Carrier,byant,panyne,daynight,trane,york,heil,lenn ox and so on. They are made by only a few manufactors. They make them out of plastic because if they where out of metal they will rust out even faster do to the assed in the flue gas. I just look at it as a $$$$$ for the HVAC guy...
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 25, 2009, 04:53 PM

Job security

Jan 26, 2009, 07:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mygirlsdad77 View Post
    We all have our theory as to why certain munufactures dont upgrade parts(like you said, they want to sell parts). I think they tend to come out with a whole new furnace design after so many years, and then all of their effort is put toward that new design, and they just kind of forget about ugrading parts for the older furnace. Just a thought, we will probably never know.
    My theory: blame it on global warming. :D

Jan 26, 2009, 07:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by greghvacguy View Post
    Inducer are not made by Carrier,byant,panyne,daynight,trane,york,heil,lenn ox and so on. thay are made by only a few manufactors. thay make them out of plastic becouse if thay where out of metal thay will rust out even faster do to the assed in the flue gas. I just look at it as a $$$$$ for the HVAC guy................
    That is correct. As an example I recently replaced a power vent on a Bradford & White hot water tank and called them to gripe about the cost. They said, sorry, but we don't make the part.

Awful lot of that going around these days. I'm okay with some stuff being outsourced, but when it crosses the line on our national survival I have a problem. Call me a pinhead or patriot if you like.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2009, 03:52 PM
    I have seen 2 styles/versions of this wheel, the older being white plastic and the newer being black plastic. I haven't seen a broken newer version as of yet, but certainly lots of the older version due to the composition being less durable. If you are getting the older type as a "new" replacement, chances are it has been sitting in supply inventory somewhere for quite a while. Has anyone encountered breakage of the newer type (black)?
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 26, 2009, 04:37 PM

This is the upgrade you were looking for. KC nailed it about possible old style being sold as new(it is new, or at least never been used) . Definitely something to look into, make sure you get the black one for next replacement.

Also, thanks kc, will put this in my notes.

Jan 26, 2009, 05:06 PM

Both of the ones that I replaced were of the newer version - they were black plastic. The latest one I installed was also black plastic.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2009, 06:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by woodymach View Post
    Both of the ones that I replaced were of the newer version - they were black plastic. The latest one I installed was also black plastic.
    Okay, so much for that... I still haven't seen one of the newer type break. Have you ever noticed a sulfuric odor when replacing one?

Jan 26, 2009, 06:44 PM

No, I did not notice any sulfur odor. As for the manufacturers improving the quality of their product - I don't think they really care. If they can get it to go past the warranty period, that is just fine for them. Considering the cost or replacing the unit, most people are just going to keep getting it repaired. This is not an item you keep on buying. How many furnaces does the average family buy during their lifetime? 2 - 3??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bryant Furnace Inducer Motor Fan Squealing [ 3 Answers ]

I have a byrant furnace model 395b - the inducer motor fan squeals and I was wondering if it should be repalced or can I oil it and how? The furnace company wants $100 to look at it and I was wondering if I could do it myself!

Bryant 90 Plus gas furnace blower motor [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Bryant 90 Plus (350MAV) and have a problem. I noticed that the heater was not turning on. I opened the furnace door and found the diagnostic led flashing 1-3. Upon checking the meaning of the code, I found it referenced a dirty filter of defective blower. I shut the furnace off at the...

Furnace inducer motor [ 5 Answers ]

What are the implications of a furnace inducer motor drawing high Amps?

Bryant furnace blower motor running, but not firing [ 3 Answers ]

What should I check to see why my gas furnace is not firing. I replaced the blower motor, which it is working also reset and then wired around the limit switch on the blower housing. Was working and firing furnace producing heat. Within one hour. Then the blower motor comes on, but the...

Blower Motor Relay Failing [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Lennox Pulse furnace that is approximately 16 years old with central A/C. Last summer the blower motor stopped running while using air conditioner. Determined that the blower relay was bad, replaced and it ran fine through to this summer season. Again the blower relay contacts failed,...

View more questions Search