Ask
    smary9342 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2006, 04:44 AM
    Name on deed
    What do I have to do to put my sons name on the deed to my house
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jul 28, 2006, 07:32 AM
    You have to prepare a deed from yourself, as seller, to yourself and your son, as buyers. Then you have to have the deed recorded in the county clerk or county register's office.

I strongly suggest that you have an attorney handle this for you. It should not cost more than $100-$200 and this way you can make sure that it is done properly.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 28, 2006, 07:36 AM
    It may not be necessary to to "sell" the property to yourself and your son. I would contact your local county clerk's office and ask them what the procedure is. If you do have to prepare a new deed, then I agree with consulting an attorney.

Another issue here is whether you have a mortgage or not. If you do, then you will probably need to get permission from the lien holder (the mortgage company) to do this.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Jul 28, 2006, 08:12 AM
    In some states you might have to deed the property to another (straw) party. Then the straw party would deed the property back to you and your son, probably as Joint Tenants With Right of Survivorship. Check with your county recorder. Be sure that the straw party has no tax liens or judgments, as they could attach to the property in that brief instant that they held title. Also be sure that your son is financially stable. If he has bad finances, that could jeopardize your retirement nest. Check to see if your state offers a Beneficiary Deed. With that instrument, your son would not be on title, but at the time of your death, the property would automatically convey to him.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My name is not on the deed, what now? [ 7 Answers ]

:confused: I plan on retaining an attorney as soon as I get the funds, but in the meantime, I have questions! We have been married for 4 years, together for a total of 12 years. First thing is our home. We bought it from his mother, no contract-just verbal. My husband took out a mortgage on it...

How many names on the deed? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question: I am building a new home in Texas where my fiancé and I plan on living (and we plan on getting married in about a year). Since my credit and my salary is better than hers, I am the only one on the mortgage, but now the question is what names to put on the deed. In...

Contract for Deed again [ 2 Answers ]

I don't understand. We own 20 acres. There is another 20 acres next to us that our neighbor wants to sell. They are asking way more than the value. So we did some research and found out that it is a contract for deed. We contacted who the deed is with and he said he will sell the property to us...

Deed [ 1 Answers ]

My question is: I bought a house about 6 years ago when I was a single mom. Recently I got married and have NOT put my husbands name on the deed. Now my question is, if I decide to divorce him does he have any rights to my house?

View more questions Search