Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Jan 14, 2009, 06:32 PM
    Vapor Pressure/Surface Tension
    Okay so I'm taking chemistry and I can't seem to figure out surface tension and vapor pressure.
    Like if I wanted to list liquids in increasing surface tension, how would I do that, and why does it work that way?
    Same question for increasing vapor pressure??

I have an example problem in my book, that has no answer but asks to list it. The liquids are 1-fluoropropane, butane, and 1-propanol.
    For surface tension I have Butane as the lowest tension and 1-fluoropropane as the highest.
    For vapor pressure I have Butane as the lowest VP and 1-propanol as the lowest.
    Am I anywhere near close??

I'm kind of worried this will be on my test on Friday, and my teacher has been no help :-(
    bm4nny Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2009, 08:45 PM

It seems like a trick question without enough information to allow an accurate answer.

You can find the vapor pressure of materials at various temperatures from any good handbook such as Perry's Chemical Engineering Handbook, the Chemical Rubber Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, Lang's Chemical Handbook etc.

I believe that only liquids can have surface tension. Without the confining pressure and temp. specified, you cannot tell if the listed chemicals are a liquids or gas.
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Jan 29, 2009, 11:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bm4nny View Post
    It seems like a trick question without enough information to allow an accurate answer.

You can find the vapor pressure of materials at various temperatures from any good handbook such as Perry's Chemical Engineering Handbook, the Chemical Rubber Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, Lang's Chemical Handbook etc.

I believe that only liquids can have surface tension. Without the confining pressure and temp. specified, you cannot tell if the listed chemicals are a liquids or gas.

It's based on intermolecular forces, by looking at the formula and the diagram you can see what bonds with what and which vander wahl force is at work, some of vander wahls forces are stronger than others which affects surface tension (the stronger the forces the higher the surface tension) and vapor pressure, (the stonger the intermolecular forces the lower the vapor pressure)
    So no it's not a trick question and yes this chapter was on liquids, I didn't think that was relavent when I wrote the post.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Surface tension [ 1 Answers ]

What do you mean by syrface tension in brief?

Surface tension 2 bubbles [ 3 Answers ]

http://www.geocities.com/nk7jaffna/askmehelpdesk/soap2.JPG

Surface Tension [ 1 Answers ]

Two soap bubbles one smaller and other bigger in size are formed at the two open ends of a tube with the valve initially closed. What will happen when the valve is opened?

Vapor is what [ 2 Answers ]

A substance that forms a vapor is generally in what phyiscal state at room temp?

Vapor pressure switch [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My 35 year old compressor finally died so I'm replacing it with a unit I scavenged a while back. I'm 95% sure the "new" unit has no mechanical problems since it was almost new when it was replaced. (Renter's dogs chewed up the low voltage wires so the landlord blindly ordered the entire...

View more questions Search