Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cmartinez184 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2009, 06:19 PM
    About laptops!
    How do I reboot my computer back to brand new? Back to "fctory settings"?
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Jan 14, 2009, 07:19 PM
    First of all : do never yell at the Internet ! (yell = using capitals only)

1a- make back-up of important data. Use CD, DVD, ext. HD, or memory stick.
    1b- don't forget email/bookmarks, music, photo's, password data, cookies, etc.
    2 - make sure you also have your software backed-up, including the OS (I assume Windows)
    3 - alternatively have your Windows CD ready. Also your Windows codes
    4 - check if your hard drive is partioned (C drive with one or more other drives)
    5 - if so, back up is also possible on the D or higher drives.
    6 - Windows has the habit to overconsume disk space for unwanted and unneeded back-ups.
    7 - it is a good habit to re-install Windows every so many years, to start from scratch.
    8 - after back-up re-format the C drive with FORMAT C:/U (= total clearing).
    9 - set the bios to boot first from CD, than C drive
    10 - run Windows CD, start re-installing Windows, and follow up re-installing all other software.

This will take several hours, but you will have again a very fast computer - just as it was when you bought it !

Success

:)

JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jan 14, 2009, 07:48 PM

Most laptops nowadays come with Factory Restore capability builtin. Many have the restore files hidden on the laptop itself, others require use of the Restore CD, and some include the ability to restore WITHOUT losing your data.

That last bit is rare.

My laptop has it built in. When I first turn my laptop on, I press F10 until the recovery console comes up. You can try that. It might be F11... or something close.

If not, post your exact make and model # and we'll look around for you.

The post above list one way, but it might be easier for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hp laptops [ 6 Answers ]

I have this hp laptop foe about a yr and today the battiey was getting low so I plugged it in it was still on.. well about 3 hrs later are power went out for less then 5 minutes and came back on now 1hr and half I tried turning it on and it won't turn on did I fry it?

Networking two laptops [ 2 Answers ]

I have purchased a new laptop and I'm wanting to transfer my old laptop files to my new one. How to I set the two up to network with each other. Window xp platform

Laptops [ 7 Answers ]

Can you please tell me if A IBM thinkpad speedstep has a good history thinking of buying one. :)

TruBrite LCD (laptops) [ 5 Answers ]

I need someone to help me because I am not sure what to do or use. About a week ago, I purchased a Toshiba Satellite L25-S119 laptop, and for the screen, it uses TruBrite technology. If anyone wants to see what it looks like, grab an ad from the day after Thanksgiving sale (Office Depot ad). What...

View more questions Search