Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 14, 2009, 05:49 PM
    The Mentalist Episode "Red Rum"
    I don't know how many of you are fans of this show, but last night's episode was very offensive to me.

Talking to many people about it today, it seems that what was portrayed in the episode last night about Wicca, Witches and Witchcraft seems to be what the general public accepts to be true.

To sum it up, one of the suspects last night was a Witch, a practitioner of Wicca. Pretty much everything in the episode was wrong (pagans come from troubled childhoods, the pentacle is a symbol of evil, witches cast spells that affect free will, or that will cause harm, that people can be bound against their will, that Witches will start covens to convert minors in secrecy, heck, even the rites shown were completely unrealistic!).

To me, it feels like once again the stereotype is all that people think of, and that the reality of the pagan religions will forever be treated as a joke by society.

I guess my discussion question is this: What do you KNOW about pagan religions, and what do you BELIEVE about them? Do you think this episode could have even aired had the woman been presented as an unusual sect of Christianity, yet all of her actions were those of a Satanist? (Yes, by the way, that's how abhorrent the actions of the "witch" in this episode were. What she did was evil, and crazy in a lot of ways--and would NEVER be countenanced by a real Witch).

What do YOU think?
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Jan 14, 2009, 06:53 PM
    What do you KNOW about pagan religions, and what do you BELIEVE about them?

Just as every religion Paganism and Wicca is based on BELIEF instead of on FACT and OSE.
    I have no religious BELIEF, nor do I BELIEVE in anything religious, but I support the freedom to BELIEVE.

I guess - not having seen any of these programs - that all these "mistakes" may well be caused by the personal religious drive and subliminal BELIEF of individual program makers.

Many millennia ago we had multi-theistic religions (one deity for each of our interests).
    Human intelligence and knowledge increased, and the number of deities was reduced to one per religion.
    That was the start of the mono-theistic religions.
    Today Secular Humanists have even one less deity than each of the three mono-theistic religions.

:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

CSI "Play With Fire" episode [ 3 Answers ]

Hello! I am trying to find out the title and artist of the song at the beginning 5 min of the "Play With Fire" episode of CSI that aired the week of May 8th, 2003, just before the body was discovered. If anyone can help me... I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!

View more questions Search