Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SuperTyphoon Posts: 85, Reputation: 5

Jul 27, 2006, 07:15 PM
    Air smells a bit moldy
    I noticed that the air coming out of the vents smelled kind of moldy, like how an old car's air comes out. I can tell because the air in the house smells a bit moldy as well.

I got 5 houseplants because I read that they improve air quality, and that have quite a bit. But the moldy air still comes out.

I don't know how to fix this or who to get to fix it. I living in an apartment so I can't do it myself. What needs to be done to get the air to smell fresh and clean coming out of the vents?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2006, 06:09 AM
    I suspect that mold is collecting in the condensate pan below cooling coils, usually because the condensate pan was filled and/or clogged, not allowing the water that collected to drain properly.

This needs to be checked and cleaned to eliminate the collecting mold, and insure the condensation is allowed to drain.

Any other measure will only be a bandaid or otherwise mask the buildup of mold.

If this checks out OK, then there can be mold collecting in the duct work someplace for some other reason. A good duct cleaning is then in order.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dryer slow drying, terrible moldy smell [ 2 Answers ]

I've got an 8 year old whirlpool electric dryer that's been cantankerous for a while. It's taking a few dryer cycles to dry clothes, and it smells awful. Very bad. Like mold. I disassembled the whole thing last night and didn't find anything off - no lint blockages, the heating elements very...

I work in a Moldy building [ 11 Answers ]

My question is, If I report to my place of business, its an old religious facility, built during the civil war, that I have been getting severe symptoms from the mold, what are my options, can they fire me, for this, what type of lawyer, should I seek, what can I do, I only work there 1 day out...

Drain smells? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, a brilliant poster in another forum of Home & Garden suggested I post here. :) We have had a random stench that comes and goes but was worse when we weren't running the a/c or heat. It seems to really linger around our bathroom and the master bedroom but can be in other places as well, sort...

Musty/moldy smell [ 1 Answers ]

We have noticed a strong musty/moldy smell coming from the bathroom vanity, inside of heating baseboard (there are holes where the pipes go into the wall), inside the electrical box panel and any small openings on the baseboard too. We own a slab ranch home (no basement). There are no visible...

How do you keep pet smells out of the house? [ 1 Answers ]

I need some advice about which kitty litter is best to use. And how to get pet stains out of the carpet and how to keep the smells out of the house. I would also like to know, how often should you bath a ferret? I've heard some people say every week, some say every month and some say every other...

View more questions Search