Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kapil1198 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2009, 03:32 PM
    Income from Partnership (LLC) on H1B
    Hi,

I formed an LLC in 2008 with my other partners in the company.
    How should I file taxes for the profits earned from the LLC?
    I have received W-2 from my employer as well.

I think I cannot show my income from LLC as "self employement" as I am on H1B visa and can work only for my employer..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 14, 2009, 03:40 PM
    I suspect that the LLC was formed under a partnership, which means that the LLC must file a Form 1065 (Partnership return) and generate Schedules K-1 for each partner.

The Schedule K-1 that you receive will show your share of the net income from the partnership. That income will be reported on Page #2 of Schedule E.

Now, there may be a need to show that inmcome as self-employment income. If so, then report it as such, even if it violates the provision of your visa.

You will get into MUCH more trouble with the IRS for not reporting the income as self-employment income than you will with the USCIS for violating your visa.

You may need to restructure the partnership agreement to have the partnership pay you a salary to avoid this problem in the future.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Partnership went bad [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I lives with my boyfriend about 10 years now. We are not married, but we live like a marriage couple. I pay all household expense half. The only thing I did not pay is the down payment for the house which he brought it 10 years ago when we met. The relationship has gone bad. He has...

View more questions Search