Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    earader85 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2009, 12:01 PM
    How can I tone my arms without creating too much muscle?
    Hello! Recently I've really been working out my arms by lifting free weights and using some of the weight lifting machines at the gym. I've only been lifting for about two weeks now and I can already see that my arms look more toned and my muscles are getting larger. I would like to keep my arms fit and toned without looking too muscley, can someone please tell me what the best exercise would be? Thank you!
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2009, 02:12 PM

There is a basic rule for toned not muscely - lots of reps, low weight resistance.
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2009, 06:36 PM

Try exercise bands, their really great, One I use is to hold on to the end of the band in each hand with your palms facing each other and position it under your feet, stand with your legs hip width apart and send slightly forward from your waist with your back straight. Straighten arms so they are out in front of you and parallel to floor. Pull sides of band toward you so arms go on each side of your waist. Make sure your elbows travel past shoulder point, move band back into starting position, 3 sets, 20 reps. This I find is the best for toning.
    Biceps curls, with 5 lb dumbbell, triceps, over head extensions 1 set of 12-15 reps. I just doen't go crazy with reps, and only do this 3 x a week.
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2009, 10:07 AM

Don't worry about it. Arms tend to show the most improvement, but getting big muscles takes serious work over a long time. Madonna arms don't happen by accident. Just lift your weights without worrying that you will turn into Conan the Barbarian.

Barbell curls, preacher curls, hammer curls are all good. Bentover barbell rows and pull-ups hit the arms as well.
    trmpldonagn Posts: 252, Reputation: 15

Feb 1, 2009, 11:36 PM

If you want to build strength, then sure, you have to keep increasing the weight but you'll then have to do a lot of good stretching exercises so not to build muscle and get that bulky look. A lot of it has to do with nutrition also. High protein is good for building muscle. Carbs is what you want before or some claim just as good after an aerobic workout. I would go with templelane's suggestion. That is golden rule #1. Less weight and a lot more reps. Have you tried Yoga or Dance? There are many other great lenghtening and strengthening exercises for all muscles you can do besides weigt bearing. Are you finding the same problem with your legs?
    whitney1302 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2009, 12:19 PM
    I keep reading responses to this same question on various sites because I have the same queary. I am 25 and slender all over. I started going to the gym about 6 months ago and taking a "bootcamp" aerobic type class. We use dumbells as part of it. I only use 3 and 5 pounds. My arms are slender but have become somewhat muscular (I refer to it as lumpy) and I don't want this. I want lean arms with a litte bit of tone but no muscle bulges. And you can't tell me it won't happen because it already has! I just want skinny, straight upper arms!
    Can anyone tell me how to go from where I am now to make my upper arms slightly smaller but mostly just lean and straight?
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2009, 02:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by whitney1302 View Post
    i keep reading responses to this same question on various sites b/c i have the same queary. I am 25 and slender all over. I started going to the gym about 6 months ago and taking a "bootcamp" aerobic type class. we use dumbells as part of it. i only use 3 and 5 pounds. My arms are slender but have become somewhat muscular (I refer to it as lumpy) and I don't want this. I want lean arms with a litte bit of tone but no muscle bulges. and you can't tell me it wont happen b/c it already has! i just want skinny, straight upper arms!!
    Can anyone tell me how to go from where I am now to make my upper arms slightly smaller but mostly just lean and straight??
    I think you are not being realistic about what you should look like. Very skinny straight arms are not healthy. It's a classic sign of starvation. In real life (ignore celeb photos, they are usually photoshopped and airbrushed) health women have shape (or lumps) in their arms.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pulled Muscle Need a way to strengthen and relax the muscle [ 4 Answers ]

Hi... my problem is in my right leg the quad muscle I can barely walk on my leg and its next to impossible to run, I was playing softball in the cold weather of Ohio, and I went to hit the ball and as I started to run my leg (quad) started hurting and I wasn't able to stand on it... I am looking...

How to tone my arms and legs without bulking up! [ 2 Answers ]

Hey there, I was just wondering if someone with experience could tell me how to shape up my arms and legs without getting chunky. I am not a big girl, I weight about 63kg and I'm turning 19, I just need to tone up these two things then I'll be ready for my birthday party at the beach (1st...

Muscle spasms in legs and arms [ 4 Answers ]

Both my legs and arms (mostly my left arm and right leg) have muscle spasms where it causes the skin that is close to the bone or just the skin to feel tight and it feels as if the muscles are ripping or contracting. Can anyone give me some advice on what to do? Edit: you can move this to the...

View more questions Search