Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dean w Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jul 27, 2006, 08:25 AM
    Buzzing Defrost Relay on Trane Unit
    My Trane unit, VR724E100A0 has been giving be trouble. The fan wouldn't hardly run and I was hearing a faint buzzing noise. It would act like it was trying to run, then slow down, speed up, repeat & finally stop. Turning by hand didn't help. I installed a new run capicator for fan and the fan started right up. However, the faint buzzing noise is now much greater. It is the defrost relay. This relay actually has a control to set the cycle time amount.

My questions. Will it harm anything to run the unit like this? Why is the relay buzzing much louder now than before? Is the issue the relay? If so, Where can I find a new relay to replace this one? The original is a GE model 3ASP18B1AB. In the parts list that was in the unit, there is also a REDDI PARTS list and this relay is listed as WW24X105.

Thanks for your help.
    juggallojed Posts: 165, Reputation: 10

Aug 1, 2006, 06:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dean w
    My Trane unit, VR724E100A0 has been giving be trouble. The fan wouldn't hardly run and I was hearing a faint buzzing noise. It would act like it was trying to run, then slow down, speed up, repeat & finally stop. Turning by hand didn't help. I installed a new run capicator for fan and the fan started right up. However, the faint buzzing noise is now much greater. It is the defrost relay. This relay actually has a control to set the cycle time amount.

My questions. Will it harm anything to run the unit like this? Why is the relay buzzing much louder now than before? Is the issue the relay? If so, Where can I find a new relay to replace this one? The original is a GE model 3ASP18B1AB. In the parts list that was in the unit, there is also a REDDI PARTS list and this relay is listed as WW24X105.

Thanks for your help.
    Its my belief that anything older than 12 years parts will not be manufactured, but you might be able to find a supply house that may have the part in stock ,

If the unit is older than 12 years Id think about new equipment rath than a bandaid repair

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air Conditioner very noisy on defrost [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Carrier 2 1/2 ton heat pump air conditioner. When the heat is on and it goes into the defrost cycle there is a very load humming and/or vibrating sound that last up to 15 seconds. When it comes out of defrost I hear the same sound for about 4 or 5 seconds. Is this normal? I have never...

Buzzing relay with Trane Cebtarl Air unit [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old Trane Central Air unit (model BLU0682L942A) which recently went out on us. Nothing worked … no AC … no heat … no fan. I replaced the transformer and then the relay (S87R-1079-1). I believe everything is correctly wired. I don't have a wiring diagram for the unit. I tested the...

AC Buzzing noise [ 1 Answers ]

My 2-yr old 12,000 BTU Friedrich wall AC unit started making a very loud buzzing noise recently. The noise does not occur in the "fan-only" mode, but starts about 1 minute after the AC is turned on. The noise is louder inside the house than outside the house, and seems more "electrical" in nature...

Trane a/c unit [ 1 Answers ]

When I turn the a/c on inside the trane unit outside is making a loud buzzing sound. What can I do?

View more questions Search