Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    survivorboi Posts: 431, Reputation: 9

Jan 13, 2009, 07:52 PM
    Why is my back hunched up
    I'm 13 years old, people say that I have a good chest, they say it's muscular and good shaped. But they say that my back is a little hunched, even though I do not hunch my back when I sit. And my friends also say that my neck is way forward to my shoulders. It is like a upside down L, where the long stick is my back.

Is it permanent? Is my back really hunched because I would like to fix that.
    vwdieseljunkie Posts: 107, Reputation: 13

Jan 13, 2009, 08:09 PM
    Hey, welcome to my world, except I've got exactly twenty years on you!

If it is enough of a concern for you, speak with your parents about possibly seeing a chiropractor. You are still young enough that almost nothing is permanent yet, except maybe those front teeth, lol.

Many people will try to blame it on posture, but it's not always the case. HOW YOU SLEEP has a large effect on the curvature and position of your neck. Try sleeping on your back, arms crossed over your chest "like a mummy" with a basic pillow pulled down snug against the top of your shoulders so that it supports your neck. I actually roll up a fluffy towel and use it under my neck instead of a pillow on some nights. Try not to sleep on your stomach. If you sleep on your side, have a supportive pillow that is as thick as the distance between your jaw and the outside of your shoulder.

But Permanent? Nah. Unless both your folks are built like that too, and their folks... etc.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 13, 2009, 08:11 PM

I would recommend getting a full physcial and it can include a chiropractor, depending on your issues they can do wonders
    scaredypants Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2009, 08:18 PM

You're thirteen... be warry of what little thirteen year olds say. Middle school for the most part delves student into a big new and diverse student body.

These kids will find all sorts of things to pigeon hole one another and you into worrying about almost nothing.

Listen to your parents, if they agree with you on the severity of your posture look into it. And if you're seeing your doctor anytime soon ask him/her.

So long as it doesn't cause you any major discmfort you shold be fine. Humans are not robots we all are DIFFERENT and NONE of us stand like robots.
    survivorboi Posts: 431, Reputation: 9

Jan 14, 2009, 07:19 PM

Although my back is this way, I feel fine. Maybe I was built this way... But I do agree on the sleeping position, I do feel very achy around the neck and back every morning. Any suggestions on sleeping positions?
    vwdieseljunkie Posts: 107, Reputation: 13

Jan 14, 2009, 07:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by survivorboi View Post
    Although my back is this way, I feel fine. Maybe I was built this way... But I do agree on the sleeping position, I do feel very achy around the neck and back every morning. Any suggestions on sleeping positions?
    According to my chiro, sleeping on your stomach is a no-no.
    He says that it is best to sleep flat on your back with your neck supported.
    Another chiro that I had before this one, emphasized that if you sleep on your side, either use a pillow to place between your knees if you sleep with your knees together, or sleep in the "running" position.

With your knees together, you use the pillow (or any other cushion you choose) to elevate the top leg a little bit above the bottom leg you have against the bed. This helps for aiding in hip alignment with the shoulders.

Running position is pretty literal, if you lay with your right shoulder forward, have your left leg forward, or vis-versa. Kind of like if you were running, and froze, and fell over like that, lol.. It keeps a good curvature of all three regions of the spine. You can have either your chest or your back to the mattress in this position.

If any of these positions are uncomfortable, listen to your body, find a position that is. What is supposed to work for me may not for you, it's trial and error.

What is your pillow arrangement? 1? 2? Big overstuffed ones? None at all?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Low cold water pressure in 2 showers... Not back to back config however [ 8 Answers ]

My home is 16 years old, I've had it for 5 years. I am on a pump - with 70LBS high cutoff and 55lbs Low turn on. All copper - I have 2 Delta 1600 shower faucets - one tub spicket with shower diverter - one shower only. The tub/shower combo has allways had only a trickle of cold water and...

Back to back bathtub and shower backing-up in to each other [ 1 Answers ]

The house is a 1950's split level. I have a tub and shower that are back to back and when you run one, it backs-up in to the other. I have opened up the bathtub stopper and removed a lot of hair and grease using an auger. I have had a little trouble putting the bathtub stopper back in place where...

Back child support and social security disability back pay [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Texas and I am making court ordered payments fro back child support for a non-minor child. I will be receiving social security disability soon and was wondering since I am making payments will my social security back pay be garnished?:confused:

2 periods back to back with large blood clots! [ 6 Answers ]

I have just stared yet another period after just ending one 5 days ago. I had major pain with the last one, I have never had that kind of pain before. Now with this period I just found an extremely large blood clot. Although it looked more like tissue then an actual bllod clot. What could this be...

Plumbing back to back shower valves [ 5 Answers ]

I am plumbing 2 showers that share a wall (back to back). In order to get the hot and cold supplies to the proper side of each valve requires lots of twists and turns. I was advised by someone to just use ½” male threaded connectors on the supply lines (sweat fit to copper) and then simply use...

View more questions Search