Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    housewife24/7 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2006, 08:19 AM
    89 Honda Prelude S non-FI 5spd
    Hi, I need help with my Honda. Spark Plugs are the issue. What brand/size of Spark Plug is the best (across the board) for my car? NGK?

Jul 27, 2006, 11:36 AM
    Thanks! I just called NGK and the original style plug that came on my car is different than the "Standard" BCPR5ES-11 stock#6696. For whatever reason.

When it comes to plugs the (*) identifies (*ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT)
    *The actual (original equipment) or "Standard Plug" for my car is the

NGK Plug Types:::::*NGK"V-Power"Plug----NGK "Platinum"Plug----NGK "Iridium"Plug
    NGK Part Numbers:::*BCPR5EY-N-11-------BCPR5EGP-11---------BCPR5EIX-11
    NGK Stock Numbers::*1148----------------7086-----------------3306
    Spec. Plug Gap:::::::*0.044---------------0.044-----------------0.044
    -------------------------------------(the platinum & iridium are the only upgrades)
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Jul 27, 2006, 01:42 PM
    Never go with Platinum or Iridium on Hondas. Just take basic plugs, change them every 10,000-15,000 miles and you'll never have problems with it.

Just imagine what force it would take to take out iridium (or platinum) spark plugs which have been in your engine for 100,000 miles. I would consider you lucky if you don't mess spark plug threads in your honda aluminum head when you try to take them out after they've been sitting inside for so long.

Jul 28, 2006, 04:54 AM
    :eek: Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!! Finally, someone knows about the specific consecuences of heat to the "new" so called upgrades with the different metals used in a plug. I thought it made a difference with the aluminum head! The standard plug for my car is the "V-Power" NGK.
    I was going to just replace the old with the V-Power.
    However, in 2001 a honda mechanic changed the plugs, wires, dist.cap & rotor, and power valves in carbs. Also, diaphrams were leaking feul into vacuum hoses. I have no way to compare the plugs he installed, the numbers are unreadable. Heat range, diameter and reach are unknown.

Only one of my spark plugs will not come out! I do not want to risk or cause metal/debris getting into the chamber! I am concerned about the thread and no telling what has happened on the electrode/insulator nose tip end!
    Do you have any suggestions to safely remove it?
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Jul 28, 2006, 02:52 PM
    Perhaps it would be best to go to a shop to have them do it. Now before you freak out on this, listen to me :)

I know it's an easy job, and all you have to do is apply enough pressure. But what if you have to apply too much pressure? What if something goes wrong and you mess something up? If you do it yourself, you will have to pay for it. If the shop messes it up, they will have to pay for it. Also, try to be there and look while they work on it. Make sure to ask them and have them put it on paper that they will be held responsible if anything happens. Listen closely to the engine working before and after the spark plug change. See if you can hear any clinking noise after the spark plug change... it might be a symptom of something falling into the combustion chamber. Be sure to work your throttle a bit in front of their shop, for a few minutes, to see if anything goes wrong.

I wish you luck! :)

Oh, one other thing. Definitely stick to NGK on Hondas... and NGK only.

Jul 28, 2006, 09:45 PM
    Thank you,
    I respect your advise and understand what you mean!
    I just recently spoke with the Honda mechanic, and he actually told me to make sure the engine is very hot, then remove the plug! I can only wonder if he is trying to cover his hind-end. If I do as he suggests-my bad-and he evades liability. I should try to find a different/expert on Honda's to remove the plug or all 4 plugs! Maybe just a regular repair shop. I believe I should bring my own plugs w/the correct anti seize. Plugs and plug wires for my car are always special order items +sh & handling. Not one part store or shop has them in stock (1-2 weeks delivery) I have called them all, in 4 counties. Rockauto.com (bus. Deliv. Fee is less) and they will send shipment 2 day ground or sooner for a bit more $$.
    Any suggestions on a reputable tune-up shop? Grismer? A Honda Specific shop? Just any oil change-multi purpose service shop?? This is my precious little Honda with almost 200,000 miles on it, still runs great! ALL new tires (size is discontinued) all new brakes,rotors, 2 rear calipers and new exhaust system including the $200-$300. Mesh pipe from the engine. Hope I can keep it going for another 200,000 or more!
    tokyojapan1973 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2006, 04:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by housewife24/7
    Hi, I need help with my Honda. Spark Plugs are the issue. What brand/size of Spark Plug is the best (across the board) for my car? NGK?
    Yes ngk or bosch

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1986 Honda Accord LX/1996 Honda Accord LX [ 12 Answers ]

Would someone be able to tell me if the wheels on an 1986 Honda Accord are interchangeable with those of a 1996 Honda Accord. Thank you

Fuel Injection Relay Honda Prelude 1988 [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 1988 Honda Prelude 2.0 which has refused to start. The mechanics at the Honda shop say it's the Fuel Injection Relay, BUT they don't know it's location, OR ID number. I know that sounds strange but it's true. Can anyone help me please? Thank you. PS: This is a right hand drive car as I...

Pulled Fuse on '97 Prelude Now Won't Start [ 2 Answers ]

My radio and power to the cigarette lighter died while I was driving. I pulled over and started checking the fuses unfortunately with the vehicle running. When I pulled the fuse under the dash marked ACC the car quit running. I didn't think anything of it at the time. I just figured that after I...

View more questions Search