Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    advantagelighti Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2009, 07:05 PM
    What questions should I ask a defendant in court
    I have taken a customer to small claims. He did not show. I received a default judgement. He is a contractor that bought product for his personal home. I had our constable serve another "show cause" action which will bring him hopefully back to court on the 14th of January 2009. I would like to know what questions I should be asking him other than "where do you bank"... do you have any savings... what is your checking account, and or savings account numbers. Any ideas on how to find a way to settle this judgement?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 13, 2009, 07:43 PM

That would be done in discovery, where he is to provide that to the court prior to trial.
    But findig the money is the hardest part, in most cases they don't provide you with it, and you will have to find it
    Justice Matters Posts: 210, Reputation: 27

Jan 13, 2009, 08:01 PM
    If what you are describing is what we in Ontario would refer to as a "debtor's examination" then you should be free to ask any and all questions regarding this contractor's finances. Such questions can be about personal property (including vehicles), real estate, savings and investments, income etc.

Since you are dealing with a contractor/business you may also wish to ask who his customers are and/or who owes him money.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Received court summons in my door and have 2 weeks to court date [ 9 Answers ]

I received a summons on my door for a $5,000 debt to american express. Lawyer office is about 1 1/2 from my home... I am willing to pay the debt, do I have to show up for court? I am going to be out of town and won't be around on the court date... can I call the attorney's office and settle the...

Indiana Traffic Ticket and Court Questions [ 7 Answers ]

A few weeks ago I was pulled over and given a traffic ticket for going 61 mph in a 50 in Bristol, Indiana. After looking the ticket over and seeing what I had to do to pay it, I realized the cop mistakenly marked "Information and Summons" rather than "Complaint and Summons" on my traffic ticket. ...

Military Court house Wedding Questions [ 3 Answers ]

I joined the army as a medic and me and my fiancé are having legal problems with the military. So we pushed up the wedding to December 17th then I leave for basic a month later. He proposed to me before I joined and we were naïve. The problems we have is it's too complex to marry if I get stationed...

What types of questions is a court likely to ask in a volunataty termination hearing [ 2 Answers ]

I have read several articles regarding this matter, and I am fully aware of what terminating my rights mean and the long term consequenses are. My decision isn't based on an inability to pay child support, or because I don't care for or love my son; it's based on the bitter relationship I have...

What do you do when the court ordered supevisor does not follow court order? [ 8 Answers ]

My children have been having supervised visits every other weekend on sat for one hour. This started in late August. The judge granted supervised visit's for the father every fri night and sat afternoon for one hour each. The father said he only wanted every other weekend to the supervisor, so...

View more questions Search