Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jb2510 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2009, 05:53 PM
    Maytag Dryer won't work
    I have a Maytag electric dryer (about 1981 or 82) (GDE 308) that suddenly won't work. - Son was using it when it stopped working. VERY large load :( Husband has had it apart for days checking everything he can.
    Things he's done or checked...
    - There is power to the dryer.
    - Bypassed timer, bypassed thermostats - both seem fine.
    - Switch (centrifical switch? ) on motor was manually depressed and the heater heats, the timer goes, and the engine hums but doesn't turn.

He's 'thinking' the overload switch may be the issue...
    - What causes overload switch to turn on? Any way to reset it or must/can it be replaced? Is it part of motor or part of plastic junction?
    - Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!!
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 13, 2009, 06:38 PM
    Take the belt off the motor and then see if the motor will run. Also post Exact model number
    jb2510 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2009, 07:51 PM
    Model is GDE308

I took the belt off. Motor turns easily by hand, as it did before I took the belt off. Still no luck. No power goes through the system until I push down on what I think is the centrifical switch on the motor, which releases the button on the bottom of the "junction box" (for lack of the correct term). Everything but the motor seems to work: heater, timer, door switch, etc. Wiring looks good.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2009, 08:56 PM

jb2510- Here's some things to check( if dryer does not work; Un plug the dryer when you test the overload protector;; #1 NO power at wall receptical, SAID YOU DO #2Defective door switch- Or out of adjustment;; #3- Open circuit in the power cord,or at the terminal block:: #4 Faulty start switch;; #5- Faulty motor:: To test the motor overload protector< Make sure power cord is not plugged in :: #1- Wiyh VOLY-OHM meter set at RX1 scale< (a) disconnect a lead from the part ,clip the meter probs on the terminals, if meter reads (ZERO) ohms ,part is OK, if not ,the part is defective { replace }#2- Check the centrifugal switch{ if it has burnt terminals and it is externally mounted ,REPLACE IT ALSO} NOTE - REMOVE THE MOTOR AND TAKE IT TO A APPLIANCE REPAIRMAN AND HAVE THEM TESTED THERE AND IF NEED TO <REPLACE THE MOTOR AND SWITCH : I HOPE this has helped out , if not come back on this post and holleer:: Good day and GOD BLESS:: F.B.E.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maytag Dryer [ 2 Answers ]

How does one get the tub out of Maytag Dryer model number PYE4557AYW? The belt broke our ours but we can't figure out how to get the tub out. Thanks for the help Swan

Maytag dryer [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Maytag dryer. It makes some knocking noise when it starts. What could be the problem?

Maytag Dryer [ 1 Answers ]

My Maytag Dryer takes a long time to dry. It completes the cycle and the clothes are not dry. Is there something I can do?:confused:

Dryer Maytag Gas Heat Does Not Work [ 1 Answers ]

It's a Maytag gas dryer #LDG7304AAE. I replaced the belt. When I put is back on, the heat does not work. Gas line is open, vent is open, blower works. Timer works And I did run it for 10 minutes in the hope it might start up later. No success.:confused:

Maytag dryer fan [ 1 Answers ]

The fan "freewheels"... spins without the motor running. When the motor is running the fan does also turn but makes a "rumbly" sound. Should the fan wheel spin without the motor running? Thanks

View more questions Search